• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ides of March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ides of March

Today is the Ides of March (Martius), on this day in 44BC Dictator Gaius Julius Caesar was assassinated in the theatre of Pompey Magnus after been warned by a soothsayer previously to beware the Ides.

When they cremated his body in the forum a comet appeared in the sky which they took to be the spirit of Caesar ascending to heaven and so they declared him a god and built a temple to him at his cremation site. There are still flowers laid here to this day (I saw some in Jan earlier this year).

From then on all future emperors were declared divine and most were defied on their death.

Gibbon in “ a bit of history/boring people to death mode “
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Deified

PRC in "FW" Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon

I was only saying to the wife on the way in "what are the Ides of March"?

Now I know, thankyou.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Today is the Ides of March (Martius), on this day in 44BC Dictator Gaius Julius Caesar was assassinated in the theatre of Pompey Magnus after been warned by a soothsayer previously to beware the Ides.

When they cremated his body in the forum a comet appeared in the sky which they took to be the spirit of Caesar ascending to heaven and so they declared him a god and built a temple to him at his cremation site. There are still flowers laid here to this day (I saw some in Jan earlier this year).

From then on all future emperors were declared divine and most were defied on their death.

Loved your RaFoTRE.... but kids today don't know about such stuff - I was working 2 contracts ago with a late 20's chap - very intelligent , uni edjumacted who knew feck all about classical studies...and lamented the fact that there was a huge gap in his knowledge
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

<kenneth williams>Infamy, infamy.......... they've all got it in for me</kenneth williams>
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
            Loved your RaFoTRE.... but kids today don't know about such stuff - I was working 2 contracts ago with a late 20's chap - very intelligent , uni edjumacted who knew feck all about classical studies...and lamented the fact that there was a huge gap in his knowledge

Yeah good book, actually it was that book that got me interested in the Roman Empire and then onto the Greeks. What amazed me was how much influence and relevance this long ago empire/culture has even today.

Lone Gunman - top line and one of my favourites.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Yeah good book
              Which book? Grateful for a link.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                Which book? Grateful for a link.

The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon. Get the abridged version if you're new to this stuff as it's a big book and the full version can get ponderous.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
                  Deified

PRC in "FW" Mode
                  Defiled

They were a queer folk those Romans!

Comment

Yeah good book, actually it was that book that got me interested in the Roman Empire and then onto the Greeks. What amazed me was how much influence and relevance this long ago empire/culture has even today.

Lone Gunman - top line and one of my favourites.
                    This has got me thinking about Rome, a fantastic place to visit and probably my favourite city, the whole place is like a giant living museum, add great food, immaculately dressed people and you can walk everywhere providing you watch out for the mopeds! A real cultural experience that everyone should try.

When I was there last I was reading about the slow progress of their metro system, every time they dig they find another historical site to excavate which puts them back a few years.

Venice is fascinating but tarnished by the crowds and extortionate pricing, I was thinking of Florence and Bologna next.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X