• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company - do I need an accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company - do I need an accountant?

I have setup a Ltd Co to contract through, and a family member (who is a Chartered Accountant) has agreed to be company secretary and do all accounts.

However, on applying for a business bank account for the company (requirement of contract), I have been asked to produce Form 882 allotment of shares, stamped with my Solicitor or Accountants official company stamp. Alternatively I can provide a Solicitor or Accountants letter confirming allocation of shares.

What do I do as I don't have an accountant or solicitor!

Unless your chartered accountant friend is willing to help (which it doesn’t look like he is) why not get an accountant for a year. You’ll get all the startup stuff done, and by the end of the year you will have a much better idea what needs doing. You can then decide to go it alone if you still feel it’s worth it.

Comment

Ltd Company

Did you set up the limited company over the internet with yourselves being first officers & shareholders....or an off the shelf.

If you are the first shareholders then there will be no 88(2) with the initial shareholders being confirmed either through the Memorandum & Arts or a companies house search.

Comment

Re: Ltd Company

with the initial shareholders being confirmed either through the Memorandum & Arts or a companies house search
        Darren - not quite sure what you mean here - could you expand on this please?

Comment

Shareholders

Hi Bradley

If the company was formed using "thesmartoneuk" as the initial subsciber/shareholders then the memorandum & articles will reflect this.

If however the formation agent used nominees for the initial subscribers, there should be a share transfer form in amongst the pack of documents received. This would prove that the shares were owned by the client and not the nominee. The only complication would be if additional shares had been allotted which can only be done using a form 88(2).

Comment

Re: Company

Thanks Darren.

I always wanted to know the difference between the £20 company registration fee and what was charged for an off the shelf company with nominee subscribers.

I assume from what you're saying that if you put yourself down as the subscriber you don't need an accountant/solicitor to witness anything?

Comment

Shares

Bradley...that's correct.

Comment

Working...
              X