• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland's Independance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland's Independance

Should be interesting...

Salmond 'ready to rule Scotland'

SNP leader Alex Salmond has told his party's conference he is ready to be the next first minister of Scotland.

It came as Mr Salmond unveiled his party's programme for the first 100 days of government, if they win power.

Addressing the SNP conference in Glasgow, Mr Salmond pledged movement on class sizes, health, control of oil revenues and independence.
    The SNP leader hit out at Prime Minister Tony Blair for "coming up to Scotland to talk down to us".

Mr Salmond promised a smaller government, which would fight for Scotland's rights abroad, co-operate with the UK Government where needed and work towards lower and fairer taxation.

He also vowed to challenge Trident being replaced on the Clyde and seek early talks with Westminster on transferring responsibility for North Sea oil to Holyrood.
    Last edited by Troll; 19 March 2007, 19:42.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Scotland's Independence

tch
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Quote: He also vowed to challenge Trident being replaced on the Clyde and seek early talks with Westminster on transferring responsibility for North Sea oil to Holyrood.

I had a module in Uni about Politics and one of the key subjects then was Scottish independence.

The funny thing is with regard to North Sea Oil, the way ‘offshore’ territory is drawn up, the oil is still in England’s domain rather than Scotland’s.

Hence the main issue that they are looking at for the most of their funding is actually a non-starter!

As for the Nuke / Trident issue, I recon the Gvt may just want it to be in a secure area away from prying eyes rather than in full view. This would mean a huge upgrade to the current setup. I have worked for many years in the off-shore arena and this will not be the easiest thing to do, by any stretch of the imagination!

I know many of you have trouble with security clearance, imagine the need to security clear a whole shipyard. Military / Navel base all the way I am afraid.

Still they can dream ……
      "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Alex Salmond says the self-same thing every year. Nobody generally takes him too seriously though. Don't encourage him.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          Should be interesting...
          If the Jocks want independence, let them. It'll save millions of £s of English tax payers' money going north to subsidise a porridge-noshing ecomony and we won't have to suffer that whinging weasel they call Salmond.

And once they've severed ties, we can extradite tw@ts like Gordon Brown, John Reid and Des Browne and any other muppet in Westminster with an accent that's more excruciating than rubbing your knob with a cheese-grater.

Right, that's that one sorted. What's next?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            If the Jocks want independence, let them.
            Please!
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony
              Hence the main issue that they are looking at for the most of their funding is actually a non-starter!
              Just have to be poor but free, then. Small country, small economy, like Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland....

Comment

I haven't quite made my mind up but I think a lot of people in Scotland want to discuss the pros and cons properly.

It doesn't help when Tony Blair gives quotes like:
                "I have to say, with great respect to Sir George, I regard it as pure self-indulgence."

"You talk to real businesses, talk to the types of people I have just been addressing, and look at the impact of separation on real businesses and real families.
                "

This was after George Mathewson (former chairman of RBS) gave his backing to SNP. If the 5th largest bank in the world isn't a real business then what is?

Comment

Originally posted by GlasgowBob
                  I haven't quite made my mind up but I think a lot of people in Scotland want to discuss the pros and cons properly.

It doesn't help when Tony Blair gives quotes like:
                  "I have to say, with great respect to Sir George, I regard it as pure self-indulgence."

"You talk to real businesses, talk to the types of people I have just been addressing, and look at the impact of separation on real businesses and real families.
                  "

This was after George Mathewson (former chairman of RBS) gave his backing to SNP. If the 5th largest bank in the world isn't a real business then what is?

One of the despairing traits of Scotland is the almost complete abscence of an entrepreneurial culture. If Scotland were to become independent then they may be shaken into creativity just as the Irish have done over the past 10 years. Ithink they are caught in the headlights of being dependent on English taxpayers money (which they quite rightly resent) when in actual fact they should not be dependent upon anyone.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    One of the despairing traits of Scotland is the almost complete abscence of an entrepreneurial culture. If Scotland were to become independent then they may be shaken into creativity just as the Irish have done over the past 10 years. Ithink they are caught in the headlights of being dependent on English taxpayers money (which they quite rightly resent) when in actual fact they should not be dependent upon anyone.
                    We face a terrible risk of agreeing here. In fact I'll steal your phrase (headlights) if you don't mind, I think it's very well put.

It almost follows automatically: if the place is only a dependent branch of the real organisation, then it's not going to be very go-ahead; and the people who are, are going to go ahead elsewhere. Scotland has the human material, it's just mostly not in Scotland.

After independence, Scotland may well be less well-off than England. But both will be better off than before, possibly in different ways.

PS and Salmond will be heading for an early retirement......

Comment

Working...
                    X