• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back ups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back ups

I use a flash drive a lot to transfer between different environments. I am naturally cautious about backing up its contents frequently and store a zip file on my laptop.

I then got to thinking that I don't back up my laptop!! What do you all do regarding back ups? Do you periodically copy your entire hard drive to a CD? If not, what do you do?

I guess there are some out there that just dont bother......!!

Originally posted by Mustang
    Do you periodically copy your entire hard drive to a CD?
    Small hard drive or big CD
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
      I use a flash drive a lot to transfer between different environments. I am naturally cautious about backing up its contents frequently and store a zip file on my laptop.

I then got to thinking that I don't back up my laptop!! What do you all do regarding back ups? Do you periodically copy your entire hard drive to a CD? If not, what do you do?

I guess there are some out there that just dont bother......!!

Why do you want to backup your entire hard drive? Stick the zipfile somewhere safe (i.e. somewhere the original data isn't) and then you have multiple copies of that information.

If your laptop goes bang, get it fixed and then restore the data.

Job done...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I have a Linksys N2SLU2 (or Slug as they're affectionately know) NAS device with 2 x 320GB USB2 drives attached, they are mirrored overnight for resiliance. I also have a seperate 250GB USB2 drive attaced to my Windows 2003 file server which runs a backup of the whole lote once a week which I take with me (when I can be bothered).

Paranoid? I think not, I'd hate to lose all my data
        Last edited by kirk; 20 March 2007, 15:07.

Comment

Thanks Kirk (& everyone else). Can you recommend the Linksys N2SLU2 - does it have a LAN connection rather than just a USB? If so, it could fix two of my problems in one. I want to provide common storage between two laptops that are on the network at home.

Are there any other NAS units that people can recommend? I want to get enough space first time round rather than have seperate units.

Once I have implemented this, I can use the shared/common storage area as a back up for the laptop hard disks.

The main data that I have that is valuable - apart from some emails - is my company books and records. I would not want to lose them!

Comment

If you're a bit strange you could always go for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Home_Server
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I believe in defence in depth.

I now have 77 backups on 77 different computers.

Sadly the house fell down & destroyed them all.

Such is life.

To protect yourself from Zeity's misfortune, regularly backup your most vital business data/functions onto a DVD and post them to your Mum...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak

To protect yourself from Zeity's misfortune, regularly backup your most vital business data/functions onto a DVD and post them to your Mum...

What, so she can use it as a coaster?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

One of those USB hard drives from PC world. Got 80 GB, forget what it cost, about 60 quid I think.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Slug has an ethernet interface as well as 2 x USB connections so you are basically serving up the attached USB storage as a NAS device; highly reccomend it

PM me if you need anymore information

Comment

Working...
                    X