• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extenstion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extenstion

My first contract finishes end of this month, when I started I was told there would be 90% of renewal, however as it is public sector they have to wait on budgets etc. Whats the normal time frame of getting told you're getting extended, there's only a week and a half left!

There aren't any rules, except the ones you make for yourself.

Clients sometimes leave it up until the very last couple of days, usually because they're disorganised but sometimes in the hope that you'll feel the pressure more than they will, and you'll give them a discount. Bless.

Comment

When I used to do FO jobs they'd sometimes turn up with the renewal paperwork several months after I had started. They are a right bunch of muppets, so don't worry about it. I found just not turning up on Monday would concentrate the hive-mind sometimes as early as the week-Wednesdays afternoon.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I normally find with public sector you know a fair few weeks in advance.

I'd start looking elsewhere asap mate.
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Don't look good.

If this isn't just bureaucracy (i.e. extension sitting waiting for approval in the in-tray, after an informal nod) then start looking pronto.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Im not worried, my last permie place wants me to back there to work direct as a contractor asap, it's closer to home also.
            Last edited by Diestl; 21 March 2007, 10:18.

Comment

Extension.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                Im not worried, my last permie place wants me to back there to work direct as a contractor asap, it's closer to home also.
                Certainly keep all options open, and work as if it were your last week i.e. start handover, that should make them show their hand. Likely thing is they're disorganised, but you should take the control of the situ.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Which depends if you want to extend or not... I made the mistake of mentioning that it was my last two days in a meeting during a contract I royally loathed... and promptly got extended by 5 weeks.
                  The rate is good here, but thats about it, would prefer going direct with ex employer is it would mean higher rate hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Which depends if you want to extend or not... I made the mistake of mentioning that it was my last two days in a meeting during a contract I royally loathed... and promptly got extended by 5 weeks.
                    If you loathed it why renew? I was offered a further six months on last one, but politely declined, as couldn't face another day with them, but gave professional reasons! and already had my next one lined up.

Comment

Working...
                    X