• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob Woolmer and First impressions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Woolmer and First impressions

Running the risk of being accused of being a rabid right wing racist, evil capitalist or "Maggie Shagger" by the guilty (yet affluent) left, I would like to bring to your attention a short story from John Inverdale's (he of the BNP of course) racist (as are all Telegraph writers of course) column in today's Telegraph.

Having come to terms with the guilt of buying (yes buying!!) the brainwashing weapon of the evil right (why are they called right by the way?)
    I was then able to focus on the content of Inverdales commentary, and there is a lesson to be learnt by agents in particular that would be of far greater value than any legislation that any small minded w**ker could dream up. It goes:

I used to live in a flat in Lincoln, beneath an old lady who was a cricket fanatic and who, in her dying years, used to yearn for the summer so there were Test matches to watch on the telly. She had met Ian Botham once, when according to her, he had pushed in front of her in a supermarket queue in Scunthorpe, and she'd never forgiven him. For her, no matter what superhuman feats he performed on the field, he was always the man with the bulldozing shopping trolley. First impressions are often the only impressions.

The first time I went to Lord's was for the 1971 Gillette Cup final between Lancashire and Kent - a match made famous by Jackie Bond's swallow-diving catch for Lancashire in the days when players did their utmost not to get grass stains on their whites because biological washing powders barely existed back then.Kent lost, but after the game I rather unwisely tried to get the scorecard autographed by one of their extremely well-known players of the day, who told me in no uncertain terms, and very audibly, to take a running jump.

One of his team-mates intervened and told him not be such a miserable sod, and to sign it. And he then went round other members of the side to get them to do the same. In the intervening 36 years our paths never crossed again, so now it will remain a one-and-only memory of a piece of kindness towards a teenager who felt embarrassed and was looking for the nearest hole to crawl in to. So thank you, Bob Woolmer.

I think there are too many Bothams in our industry (without the talent) and not enough Bob Woolmers.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Its just not cricket.

Comment

Trader I once worked with was in the Somerset juniors with Ian Botham. He was a big-headed, arrogant winker back then. This coming from one of the most arrogant traders I have met.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        I think there are too many Bothams in our industry (without the talent) and not enough Bob Woolmers.
        Just in our industry? Don't you mean every area of society? Including agents of course...

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
          Just in our industry? Don't you mean every area of society? Including agents of course...
          No. Without wishing to come accross as the slimy ingratiating tw*t (which I normally am )It contractors are more Woolmer than Botham.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

How sweet. Does that include me ?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
              No. Without wishing to come accross as the slimy ingratiating tw*t (which I normally am )It contractors are more Woolmer than Botham.
              I dont think you as a "slimy ingratiating tw*t" or anything like that. I enjoy most of your posts even if dont always agree with them. Also, I would like to see more agents on here.

I have now been contract for 18.5 years and worked for about 10 agents/banks. Had dealings with many more. In my experience 50% agents are bad, 50% are good (obviously a bit of a generalisation). Which is about the same proportion as contractors I have worked with.

I put it to you that agents are not better or worse than contractors on average.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
                How sweet. Does that include me ?
                Of course not. Dont be silly. You are Woolmer. Its the rest of us who are Bothams...

Comment

Well, you know Botham's argument against that, and against anything really. "How many test centuries have YOU scored then, eh?"

He famously used that to end a heated argument during a dinner with Allan Lamb and a reporter about who was Prime Minister of India or something very similar. Botham was wrong of course.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    Well, you know Botham's argument against that, and against anything really. "How many test centuries have YOU scored then, eh?"

He famously used that to end a heated argument during a dinner with Allan Lamb and a reporter about who was Prime Minister of India or something very similar. Botham was wrong of course.

To which I would counter "How many contractors have you placed Mr Botham"? or how many lines of code have you written you loser?

Politeness does not cost anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X