• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trains

The train I came in on today was dreadful - even more over crowded than usual. My regular train was 10 mins late and half the number of coaches which meant it was full and I could not get on. All this when I get on at the first stop of it's journey - no point in making any further stops......!! The next train also had reduced number of carriages and just went slooooowly into London.

How can these train companies justify it? Do they care? How can we protest to them? WIll anything make them sit up and listen enough to do sometging about it??!! Boy - just can't wait for the journey home......

Originally posted by Mustang
    The train I came in on today was dreadful - even more over crowded than usual. My regular train was 10 mins late and half the number of coaches which meant it was full and I could not get on. All this when I get on at the first stop of it's journey - no point in making any further stops......!! The next train also had reduced number of carriages and just went slooooowly into London.

How can these train companies justify it? Do they care? How can we protest to them? WIll anything make them sit up and listen enough to do sometging about it??!! Boy - just can't wait for the journey home......
    I have come to the conclusion that although the train companies tend to be tulip, there are just too many people working and living in London

Comment

it is an interesting question

I do not travel to london much but how does it compare to all the other european captials - is transport better over there?

Comment

You've got to try the system in Copenhagen. So good you don't even need to pat the seat to check no one has peed on it before you sit down!
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well most European cities are much smaller than London.

In Luxembourg I took the bus, usually half empty. That was until we picked up all the French commuters at the station, then it was full for a couple of stops through the city.

In Frankfurt I commuted on the "S" Bahn. Sometimes delayed but always seats available. When the train went through the centre, it was generally full. There are new trains with air conditioning, these are fantastic.

Zürich trains are full but usually you can find a seat. The new trains they bought last year are fantastic.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

On a similar note, there was a documentary on last night about the crisis in public transport. Apparently Stagecoach were threatening to withdraw a "little used" rural route and demanded subsidy to keep it running. Despite this, at no point were they required to show any figures to the transport authority showing that the route was losing money. Stagecoach took the subsidy on a route that was probably already generating profit and ran laughing to the bank.

The deregulated public transport system in this country is rotten to the core, but there are signs that the government intends to re-introduce a degree of regulation to bring things back under control. However I'd imagine that our weak-willed government will back down following any protest from the monopolistic transport operators.

Comment

I am 21 mins from London Bridge with direct trains to cannon street and charing cross. train almost always on time and only 40% full.

but then I live in a (as of yet) undiscovered gem - and I get the 5:50am in, 6:16pm out trains.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                I am 21 mins from London Bridge with direct trains to cannon street and charing cross. train almost always on time and only 40% full.

but then I live in a (as of yet) undiscovered gem - and I get the 5:50am in, 6:16pm out trains.
                Yes but if you travel at stupid o'clock it will always be possible to get a seat.

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                  Yes but if you travel at stupid o'clock it will always be possible to get a seat.
                  I have travelled a few times at "Normal" time - 8am train. Was always on time then and I got a seat - but by next station it was full and at end of journey lots were standings. Still think its good considering how close I live to the city and canary wharf.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk

but then I live in a (as of yet) undiscovered gem
                    Eltham?

Comment

Working...
                    X