• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An agent once promised they were taking a 15% cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An agent once promised they were taking a 15% cut

Was at Goldman Sachs in 2000. There was something in the way the agent behaved I just did not like. So I told HR how much I was on and asked the markup. Turns out markup was 28% - affecting 40 contractors.

The agent refused to pay back the difference and would not even admit a mistake. Alas it went quite senior in GS (the agency supplied contractors in NY too) and the agent got fired, everyone got a backdated payrise.

I still work through the same agency - they are very very good. Although I am at a different IB now. Every agency will get the odd bad apple from time to time.

If I had not been told the margin I would have no cause for complaint. But if you are told a margin, worth getting it checked with client. These days I always do.

I had the same situation back in the 90's. The margin quoted to all 8 contractors on site 12.5% but it was discovered to be 25%. Agent got sacked we all got a backdated pay as well, 9 months worth in my case. Sweet.

Don't know about the odd bad apple, I've caught agents lieing about the margin several times. Come extension time I usually end up going direct. You reap what you sow.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
    X