• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question regarding tax relief on r&d etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding tax relief on r&d etc

So how does this new tax relief work then?

Say i have 10 grand in a corporate bank account ... assuming 100% relief - does that mean as long as i 'invest' 22% of that ... then that cancels out my corporation tax liability for that year (for that 10 grand).

Go easy on me - Gordon Brown is a confusing fellow.

I believe so. Depends what you are going to "invest" it in. Its probably a good idea for businesses who spend of R&D but as a way to get tax out of the business then I doubt its any good.

Comment

does that mean therefore that I could "invest" [ as they say above 22% ] in say a training course as part of company enhancement.

The net effect is that the company post tax profit is the same and I've had a traing course for free ?
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
        does that mean therefore that I could "invest" [ as they say above 22% ] in say a training course as part of company enhancement.

The net effect is that the company post tax profit is the same and I've had a traing course for free ?
        This is a really interesting proposition. I would hope it can be the case, there will be alot more contractors getting trained thats for sure!!

TM

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle
          So how does this new tax relief work then?

Say i have 10 grand in a corporate bank account ... assuming 100% relief - does that mean as long as i 'invest' 22% of that ... then that cancels out my corporation tax liability for that year (for that 10 grand).

Go easy on me - Gordon Brown is a confusing fellow.
          I don't know where you get the 22% from. You get 150% relief, which I think means if you spend £10K on R&D you've reduced your overall liability for CT by £15K, and so reduce your CT bill by 22% of that - i.e. £3300 less. But then you've had to spend £10K to get there. So good if you genuinely do R&D, not very useful for the likes of us.

And you need to spend at least £10K:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/innovation/ran...page11350.html

What I guess you could do, is if you found yourself on the bench for 6 months, claim you're doing R&D. And then the government will pay some of your salary.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
          X