• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with a refund?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a refund?

I purchased an annual train ticket a little while ago, as I was working in London & was planning to do so for the foreseeable future. Crazily, I then changed jobs a month later & got a refund back on the ticket (around £4500).

I did put the purchase of the ticket through my Ltd accounts, but have not got round to putting the refund back into my company accounts (ahem)

I'm now in the process of closing my Ltd & wondering if i's such a good idea to keep the cash & whether to put it back through the books. One concern is that it will get noticed by hector & I'll then get done for BIK (especially as I'm now in the high rate tax band).

Opinions please, oh wise ones

Strictly, you should re-imburse yourco for the refund that you got, or declare it as a benefit in kind and pay tax on it.

If (I assume so) you got the refund directly back into your bank account then it would show up on any tax investigation, so I don't think its a risk worth taking, particularly for such a large amount of money.

As you're a higher rate taxpayer you're probably better off re-imbursing the company, paying the corporation tax then getting the money back when you take the capital distribution.

IMO, of course
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey

As you're a higher rate taxpayer you're probably better off re-imbursing the company, paying the corporation tax then getting the money back when you take the capital distribution.

IMO, of course
      That was the opinion I was slowly coming round to as well.

Comment

Working...
      X