• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - open a garage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - open a garage

I see that even crappy garages are charging £50/hr for labour and some maindealers are nearer £100/hr.

A lockup, a dozen polish mechanics on min wage and some chrome plated mud tools from the market and you are in business.

Nice little earner.

... and having to deal with clueless Joe Public- priceless
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There's a guy I know done something like that in Denmark, although he is Turkish and has some little Filipino chaps. Went round one day and there was a car up on a lift, with a little guy squatting on top of the engine, i.e. about 15 foot up, thumping one end of the exhaust manifold as hard as possible with a rubber hammer, occasionally hitting the ceiling on the up-swing, and another below banging at the other end.

Really quite good, hard working guys.

Even if I did have to show them how to remove an exhaust manifold.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Cant remember the name of the programme but I saw summat on the telly the other week about a South London mechanic going out to India and working with a car designeer there to build a car for the Mumbai Motor Show.

The workshop was a real eye opener. No powertools in sight, everything done by hand right down to stripping the paint off the reclaimed body shell with old hacksaw blades.

They bought a recon engine and gearbox from some guy in a backstreet. They wanted to see it running first so it was dumped in the middle of the street, hooked up to a battery and fired up. No test rigs or engine stands!

Shipped it back to the workshop on a donkey cart.

Amazingly enough the finished car looked damn good and seemed to go like the clappers as well.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

In the right location, these can do ok. Someone I know has one in a village, petrol as well (hardly worth it for the hours they have to open) but it is 99p+/litre. Smallish but profitable workshop and sells a few trade-in cars <£2k price that they get from contacts at dealerships etc.
          The front door of the house opens straight onto the forecourt which is a bit mad and unnecessary.
          Not sure of the figures but it is worth about 500k and after staff costs (including decent family wages) etc probably kicks in 30k/annum profit.
          They are on the verge of selling up if you want it !!!
          Wouldn't touch it myself - long hours, security/cash issues, drive-offs, living at work, paperwork etc.
          Would work much better if they lost the petrol, used the forecourt for selling cars and kept the workshop I reckon, could do normal hours + some weekend stuff.
          Plenty queueing up to take it over though !

Comment

Working...
          X