• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reclaiming unlawful bank charges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming unlawful bank charges

Anybody had any luck / experience with getting unlawful bank charges back from their bank?

£30 to send a letter. Greedy c*nts.

Daughter in law got 2.5K and a mate got 450.

Banks wanted to offer minimal amounts. Just stand your ground and say you would rather let a court decide.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yeah I got £135 back from C&G due to admin fees when I settled my mortgage.

All I did was phone them up and give them my accountant details, then said I was due back £135 and it would be in my accountant within 10 days, didnt need to send a lette or nothing

Check out moneysavingexpert.com lots of template letter to download.

Comment

Nice one both of you.

I'm in the process of taking Barclays to the Small Claims Court for £980! (Yeah, I know I'm crap with money!).

They have acknowledged my claim, and have another 3 weeks to file a defence. Otherwise, I get the money back.

I used the templates at www.moneysavingexpert.com.

Comment

I'm no fan of the banks with these charges but

1/ When you open an account you are informed of the charges

2/ If you can't manage money is it OK that everyone else should pay for it ?(when the inevitably claw the money back by ending free banking)
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Can you claim back overdraft interest charges, that seem overy excessive? Or is it only one off charges.

Comment

Burdock - They won't defend it because they dont want it made public just how much it really costs them to administer the things they charge for. You'll get the money no questions asked.

Bagpuss - It's not the fact of charging that is disputed, they are allowed to charge as per the terms of the account. What they are not alloweed to do is make those charges excessive or extortionate which is what they have been deemed to be. The reason there hasn't been a court case yet is that no bank will contest the claims. The first thing that would happen in court is that they would be forcerd to disclose the true cost to the bank of the administering the things they charge for and they don't want that to happen.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That's a good point, Bagpuss. But I think the question of fairness lies with the banks. They, as a previous court ruling, thousands of consumers, and myself believe, are acting unfairly.

If they choose to pass the costs of their unfairness onto consumers, that too is unfair. Any bank which does do will not get my business.

An idealistic answer I know.

Comment

Also, I don't think they will create bank account fees purely as a result of paying out in these unlawful charge cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                    Can you claim back overdraft interest charges, that seem overy excessive? Or is it only one off charges.
                    It's one off charges only. See www.moneysavingexpert.com for more info.

Comment

Working...
                    X