• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in central London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in central London

Managed to avoid it for the last 10 years as I didn't fancy the commuting hell that is our public transport system, and something always turned up on the edge of London at pretty similar rates.

However things may change soon so wondering what people prefer to do at the moment if you're not actually permanently based in London:

1. Live as close to work as possible/desirable and either rent a pad for the duration of the contract (hoping maybe to secure another one close-by afterwards), lodge with a mate, or find a reasonable hotel/b&b.

What typical prices per night are the hotels/b&bs? Would need to factor that cost into any daily rate.

2. Put up with commuting into London on a daily basis and look forward to finding a contract outside London next time.

3. Other options? Anyone actually attempted the commute into city airport? Would probably be sweetened if the other end of the commute was some sunshiny place on mainland europe.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Well Currently contracting in Dublin, Live in Winchester. Take it from me, the Weekly Flights are not all they are cracked up to be. Beware of getting temp accomodation, the costs kind of creep up on you, I worked out the other day is that it costs me about £400 - £500 a week, to maintain a rented prop, commute and Refreshments. It's ok as Gordon Pays for it all, but still it's less for me.
    threenine.co.uk
    Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
      Well Currently contracting in Dublin, Live in Winchester.
      I live in Winchester as well and work in The City (Liverpool St). I've been commuting for 5 years but as I get older I am finding it more and more difficult (I'm in my 40's) and it's starting to affect my health. I've started spending a week a month in a hotel but as SW Trains are putting my 1st class rail fares up by 15-20% I'm thinking of renting a flat in East London (my origins) to stay in during the week and drive home at weekends. The only problem is that I've been at the client over two years so it's all BIK but the rent would be the same as my season ticket, my incidental expenses will be low and I won't have to do the 2 hour journey each way. After 6 months in a flat up here, I will probably go back to commuting for a while. I guess my conclusion is; it's OK in the short term but you can't live like it forever.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
        I live in Winchester as well and work in The City (Liverpool St). I've been commuting for 5 years but as I get older I am finding it more and more difficult (I'm in my 40's) and it's starting to affect my health. I've started spending a week a month in a hotel but as SW Trains are putting my 1st class rail fares up by 15-20% I'm thinking of renting a flat in East London (my origins) to stay in during the week and drive home at weekends. The only problem is that I've been at the client over two years so it's all BIK but the rent would be the same as my season ticket, my incidental expenses will be low and I won't have to do the 2 hour journey each way. After 6 months in a flat up here, I will probably go back to commuting for a while. I guess my conclusion is; it's OK in the short term but you can't live like it forever.
        hear hear. The worst part of working in London is the commuting. well unless you are unlucky enough to work with me - then commuting is the second worse part.

Comment

Live in Darmstadt and currently contracting just outside Stuttgart. 200km drive there on Monday and back on Friday (or Thursday if I'm really bored.) I have a room in an apartment hotel about 10km away which I book monthly and costs me around €900 including underground parking and cleaning. Not too bad, it has a cooker, fridge, utensils and stuff and its mine the whole time so I can have an argument with the missus on Friday evening, pick up a couple of young ladies and shoot down there for the weekend to let her cool off
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I live in Surrey and commute daily to the docklands.

I absolutely hate it. Full of pin-striped tossers yapping on their phones about meetings/projects etc, reading the Financial Times and wearing those wierd flasher macs.
            Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer

I absolutely hate it. Full of pin-striped tossers yapping on their phones about meetings/projects etc, reading the Financial Times and wearing those wierd flasher macs.
              So there I was in Docklands where I work - I like the buzz of the place everyone smartly dressed, dynamic, always on the go, making deals etc. Recently however we've been getting these sullen, spotty, little jumped up code monkeys with BO and autistic tendencies who don''t realise they are as important as toilet cleaners in the scheme of things.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                So there I was in Docklands where I work - I like the buzz of the place everyone smartly dressed, dynamic, always on the go, making deals etc.
                Ladies and Gents, I present Exhibit A. Thinks he's an extra in Wall St.
                Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer

Ladies and Gentlemen I present exhibit B. A bearded, sandal wearing, smelly techie who should be working at Birmingham Polyversity Comp Sci dept.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Ladies and Gentlemen I present exhibit B. A bearded, sandal wearing, smelly techie who should be working at Birmingham Polyversity Comp Sci dept.
                    These people actually doing some work are wrecking the docklands these days...

Comment

Working...
                    X