• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ball Park Figure please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball Park Figure please

I've just got back to my car at Sainsbury in Uxbridge to find that some pikey tw@t has done the door and nicked my laptop case out of the boot. In it were the clients thinkpad, my laptop, an iPod nan - still packaged, a creative labs 40gb Zen MP3 player, an old 1 gb USB MP3, an external laptop disc in a caddy and a set of noise cancelling headphones. All wrapped up ina £100 laptop case. They have also completey shagged the drivers door handle meaning I can't lock the car.

So, as I'm away from home and so cannot get to my policy doc and because I have never made a claim before, what is the likelyhood of being covered for this on the car insurance. I'm fully comp and covered for light business use, and everything was locked in the boot. I'm with directline.

I'm absolutely effing ripping - and the supermarket don't have cctv on their car park
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I've just got back to my car at Sainsbury in Uxbridge to find that some pikey tw@t has done the door and nicked my laptop case out of the boot. In it were the clients thinkpad, my laptop, an iPod nan - still packaged, a creative labs 40gb Zen MP3 player, an old 1 gb USB MP3, an external laptop disc in a caddy and a set of noise cancelling headphones. All wrapped up ina £100 laptop case. They have also completey shagged the drivers door handle meaning I can't lock the car.

So, as I'm away from home and so cannot get to my policy doc and because I have never made a claim before, what is the likelyhood of being covered for this on the car insurance. I'm fully comp and covered for light business use, and everything was locked in the boot. I'm with directline.

I'm absolutely effing ripping - and the supermarket don't have cctv on their car park
    Call your insurance company for your car and those who deal with your public liability ins (if you're a ltd co,) a.s.a.p for advice.

Then go and hunt down the pikey ***** and kill the f*cker! No jury would convict.

Comment

Many years ago I used to live in Ux and used that Sainsburys. First time, and last time, I took my old TVR Griffith in there I had some ar$ehole reverse right into the side of it with his 4x4 as I was waiting to turn out of the car park. Fortunately an off-duty PC had seen everything.

Sorry to hear about your stuff - I'm with Directline and they have been fine with all my claims in the past.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

sorry to hear about that Tony

I wonder why they went for your car and not somebody else's especially consider the big haul they got from your boot,

was the laptop visible, or on the other side did you get out of the car and
        put the laptop in the boot and maybe someone saw you put it in the boot ?

or was it pot luck that they picked your car ?

strange, still, very sorry to hear that you lost so much I'd be p'd off

Milan.

Comment

Look for your stuff on ebay today.

If you have a police report then your insurance should pay out.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I find it hard to believe there are no cameras in the car park. I know that all the Sainsburys shops have at least two per till, and that their petrol stations have them above and beyond the legal requirements. Best get onto the plod right away before the recordings are lost.

As to the insurance, just phone them up, they'll be able to find your details on the system. You'll need your incident number from the plod.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

was there anything else missing from the car Tone, anything you forgot about ?

Milan.

Comment

'nicked my laptop case out of the boot. In it were the clients thinkpad, my laptop, an iPod nan - still packaged, a creative labs 40gb Zen MP3 player, an old 1 gb USB MP3, an external laptop disc in a caddy and a set of noise cancelling headphones. All wrapped up ina £100 laptop case.',

this laptop bag must be as big as a ford transit, do you need a forklift to carry it ?

Milan.

Comment

Car Insurance usually only covers a small amount of contents (around £1000). They won't cover your employers laptop (as its not yours) and unless your company insurance covers 3rd party equipment that won't either.
                  But your client will be covered won't they.

Also if the kit is registered (i.e. bought or expensed) to your company the you might have to claim against your companies insurance as depending on directlines policy some exclude kit owned by another party (and as we all know your co's kit isn't yours).

Sorry to put a dampener on it but check the policy.

Comment

It's worth checking your home insurance as well. Many policies cover possesion lost or stolen in transit, not just at home.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X