• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business vs. Techies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business vs. Techies

Why is it that techies are so stuck up their own arse? (I speak as a former reasonably hard core techie who still enjoys dabbling from time to time). The financial and services industry which is the mainstay of Britain's economy is not based on the creation of software (with some minor exceptions) but on trading and deal-making. IT is merely a support industry in this context. Yet most techies act as though their programming is the main reason for a company's existence and fail (or choose not to) understand the bigger picture.
    Which is why techies with genuine business nous can name their price. Sadly most contractors do not fall into this category - one has only to read the whinging posts on here.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      Why is it that techies are so stuck up their own arse? (I speak as a former reasonably hard core techie who still enjoys dabbling from time to time). The financial and services industry which is the mainstay of Britain's economy is not based on the creation of software (with some minor exceptions) but on trading and deal-making. IT is merely a support industry in this context. Yet most techies act as though their programming is the main reason for a company's existence and fail (or choose not to) understand the bigger picture.
      Which is why techies with genuine business nous can name their price. Sadly most contractors do not fall into this category - one has only to read the whinging posts on here.
      I have to agree on the whole. I work in infrastructure support and the number of techies I've worked with who cannot explain a problem or concept without immersing themsleves into what everyone in the business thinks is techno-w*nk-speak is unbeleivable.

That's why many companies have no CIO on the board and IT is seen as a sideline populated by code-crunching pale-kids who like to spend some of their spare time watching Star Trek, the Sci Fi Channel and collecting spatulas for a hobby.

IT only has itself to blame.

Comment

'I speak as a former reasonably hard core techie who still enjoys dabbling from time to time',

he's proud of himself as he got MS Word to work on the fourth installation attempt

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          'I speak as a former reasonably hard core techie who still enjoys dabbling from time to time',

he's proud of himself as he got MS Word to work on the fourth installation attempt

Milan.
          Still smarting from yesterday's piss-take I see
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Some of whom go on to be the richest man in the world...
            One of whom....

You might as well be a chav and hope to win the lottery - you'd have more chance.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              Which is why techies with genuine business nous can name their price.
              EUR1000 a day please.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

don't believe the hype...

'Some of whom go on to be the richest man in the world...',

consider this, is he really the richest man ?

or can it be that there are men who are far richer than him who
                simply don't want to be known about, hence getting him to accept
                to be the face of the richest man in the world ?

how did these people who are far richer than him and don't advertise it
                make their money ? that will be the next installment

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  how did these people who are far richer than him and don't advertise it
                  make their money ? that will be the next installment
                  By selling poppies all year round instead of for just rememberance sunday?

Whilst the brits are in Afganistan why aren't they flame-throwing the poppy fields I wonder.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Having business nous is one thing. Being a suited prat who talks about "blue sky opportunities" and "thinking out of the box" is another.

I've met a lot more techies with business nous than non-techie managers that aren't prats. Dilbert is very true, especially as soon as you move into the financial sector. The PHB is alive and well, I've met him numerous times in numerous guises.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X