• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How times have changed!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How times have changed!!

Went for a new contract.

Get a call back from agent...interview arranged...then told I'd be seeing 4 people (all at the same time)...Head of Marketing, 2 x Project Managers and HR..

In all the years of contracting, I've never had to see HR. That's for Permies

On top of all that, they want me to do a psychometric test up front and also inform me that the interview will take 2.5 hours!!! Feck me! All for 300 per day!

I'd be tempted to walk away. Sounds like an IR35 fodder contract to me.

The longer the "interview" the worse the contract.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Indeed.

Permie interviews are for permies.

Walk away from this one. You'll be pleased you did.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
        Went for a new contract.

Get a call back from agent...interview arranged...then told I'd be seeing 4 people (all at the same time)...Head of Marketing, 2 x Project Managers and HR..

In all the years of contracting, I've never had to see HR. That's for Permies

On top of all that, they want me to do a psychometric test up front and also inform me that the interview will take 2.5 hours!!! Feck me! All for 300 per day!
        Dump it, matey. Any interview with an HR rep means they can't distinguish you as a contractor from al the other permies they have. If you get the contrat, beleive me, you'll be treated like a permie. I've been there, done it, got caught out, left, self flagelated myself for the next 6 six as an act of penitence (boy did it hurt)

Comment

Aye would not bother going either as it obviously is a company that has no idea how to deal with contractors nor what the difference is between them and permies

Comment

Have walked...

Have another poss opportunity at the BBC anyway.

Comment

Have walked...

I love this site. Advice in seconds and then action taken.
              I think you've made the right decision as well.

Comment

Have walked...

Good call - psych test for a business? Not really appropriate.

Comment

You could of missed out on a dream contract, if they can spare 4 people for 2.5 hours then I guess they aren't that busy and there will be lots of bureaucracy to hide behind while you are contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
                  X