• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

adsl filters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adsl filters

does every single socket that has a phone on it in my house need a micro-filter or only the one which has the adsl modem/router on it?

according to the blurb, every socket needs one, I only have one socket so can't test this theory ! did you not get more than one filter when they installed it ?

Comment

i'm installing it! i'm supplying my own hardware etc. everywhere i go mentions the need for them but nowhere seems to actually stipulate that every socket should have one.

Comment

yes .... maybe....

I have been told that they are needed on every socket.

But thinking about it they are just filters to seperate the audio and broadband frequencies, so if all your extensions run from a single master socket, and the broadband cuts off from that socket then I would expect that you can get away with putting one filter between that socket and everything else.

No chance of adsl up here in the sticks so I will never have the chance to test.

Comment

why the hell would you need more than one micro filter for your adsl modem/router??? All other devices are presumably connected to router via normal CAT5 cable - Ethernet????

Comment

Mr. Snowdon is spot-on.

A filter is required on any non-adsl device (phone fax normal modem etc.) - it is designed to block ADSL signal from the analogue devices and to stop them degrading the ADSL signal - frequency runs from 25Khz - 1.1MHz so the low end is fairly close to audio. The ADSL modem can go straight in - no filter required.

I bought my filters off eBay and they were fine but some phones may need higher grade filters or you will hear a buzzing noise.

www.adslguide.org has lots of info and forums if you get other questions.

ADSL is very nice after 56k - you'll never regret it.

Comment

thanks guys. now adsl-ing! yes- mark was correct. (so was fiddle: it's very nice )

Comment

bet that means we'll see less of you here for a while then

Comment

why the hell would you need more than one micro filter for your adsl modem/router??? All other devices are presumably connected to router via normal CAT5 cable - Ethernet????
                  The microfilters are for use on your telephone extension network - not your computer LAN.

Comment

Complete aside for RobAnt ..

not seen you around here for a while. When I was looking for bits to build a mini-itx system I came across your site - you don't appear to sell suitable boxes so I bought elsewhere - why stock boards only ?

Comment

Working...
                    X