• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contracting in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contracting in Switzerland

Hi All,

I’m expecting to take a contract in Switzerland soon. I have no info at all about the taxes etc. There is a little info on the contractor UK website. Does anyone know where I can obtain any detailed info?

I have questions like:

Does the area you live in Switzerland effect your tax?

Can you bring earnings back into the UK ?

Do you get taxed again after paying swiss taxes when bringing earnings back to the UK?

What are the general living costs, rent etc?

Just some general advice would be great otherwise I’m going to have to rely on everything the agent tells me…..

Any help gratefully received.

CautiousContractor

Yes, yes, no, high, never do that, my pleasure.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Yes, yes, no, high, never do that, my pleasure.
      theoretically if you remain resident in the UK then you pay UK tax on your earnings everywhere, less a credit for tax paid elsewhere. The net effect would be that you pay at UK rates. But if you become non resident in the UK for tax purposes then you don't pay UK tax on Swiss income.

If you live in the UK and don't live in Switzerland (just make business visits) then you needn't pay Swiss tax. If you do pop your head above the Swiss tax parapet. their qualifier is 90 days, not 183 as in some other places.

If you are paying Swiss taxes but are resident in the UK, the Swiss will allow you travelling expenses, so keep receipts. But beware, the UK will not allow most travelling expenses if you are employed in Switzerland: in that case, that is your place of work, so coming home at weekends is just a lifestyle choice and not a business expense. So the Swiss might let you off a couple of thousand taxable income a month, but the UK would just claw it back.

It is expensive and officiously regulated: when I lived there, even in a small village with plenty of parking space, I had to pay 40 francs per month per car to park on the street. They explained that people who parked in a garage would have paid to have the garage to park in, so it was only fair that those who didn't park in a garage should pay for parking their cars too.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Looks like it's going to be a nightmare. The rates are a bit lower in Switzerland than the UK (for my skills!). Looks like I will be able to offset a couple of flights a month back to the UK and maybe my Swiss rent against tax. As far as I understand it, I will be just be paid through an agent and they will deduct all the relevant taxes/social security etc. I’m starting to wonder if it’s worth the effort.

Thanks again!

Comment

Moved back from switzerland last year and I lasted a few months. Loved the work and place, but could not not settle with the family..so came back

Some advice

Bad
          - Its expensive - cost of living high
          - Apartments are also expensive, look on here www.homegate.ch(you are also asked for 2-3 months up front!)
          - you will probably end up working through the agency as an employee(no way to get a ltd I am affraid) - so ask for a sample pay slip(I did). Because a good chunk(25%) is taken away in insurances/tax's which are compulsary. this way you will see what you will have left
          - If bringing family, its difficult to get settled quickly. Not only do you have a language barrier - but most english speaking kinder/nursery/school cost a lot of money(nothing is free mate!)

Good
          - Nice people(those that talk to you anyway)
          - Lots to do
          - If you have a car, you can explore
          - eating out is cheaper than eating in...plus wine/booze is V Cheap
          - public transport is excellent

About working there, try and get as much as you can from the agent. A free apartment or paid apartment for the 1st few months always help. If going over as a permie....get the company to provide you one. Its important to have a base. Also get the agent to go with you to Kruisburo etc it helps having someone with you when getting your visa to work...cos they ar a grumpy lot!

Comment

And don't forget, every Canton has different rules about this.

Use your agent a lot - and refuse to go out without a work permit sorted for you in advance (or by the 1st week you're there, at the latest).

Swiss police have been known to walk contractors off the premises and straight onto a plane if this side of things goes wrong.

They had to get friends to clear their flats/ hotel rooms for them..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
              And don't forget, every Canton has different rules about this.

Use your agent a lot - and refuse to go out without a work permit sorted for you in advance (or by the 1st week you're there, at the latest).

Swiss police have been known to walk contractors off the premises and straight onto a plane if this side of things goes wrong.

They had to get friends to clear their flats/ hotel rooms for them..
              Got walked off a gig in Norway (straight to the ferry), for not having a work permit in place.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

I didn't need a Visa... when quizzed by immigration ppl I said I was visiting a customer (strictly this is true, when a large company sends a resource out to help a customer there is no need for a visa...). Worked for over a year with me coming home for weekends.

Comment

Thanks again for your advice. It has all been taken on board.

I was going to try and pull off just working there during the weekdays and coming back to London at weekends (well, most weekends anyway). I didn't realize accommodation was going to be so traumatic (3 months rent in advance...?). Glad to hear the beer is cheap. That's one good thing! I'll ask the agent how they can help with all the issues.

Cheers,

CautiousContractor

Comment

Working...
                  X