• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pimp wants to see my passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimp wants to see my passport

..for compliance reasons. Apparently he needs to check that I am who I say I am even though I've been on this gig now for four months and just been offered an extension. He doesn't seem to understand that the contract we have is between the eb and my limited company and therefore he shouldn't have any need to check my passport. I've tried explaining this to him but he insists on seeing it saying that they have to vet all their contractors this way. Has anybody else been asked to do this?

Originally posted by PrinceNamor
    ..for compliance reasons. Apparently he needs to check that I am who I say I am even though I've been on this gig now for four months and just been offered an extension. He doesn't seem to understand that the contract we have is between the eb and my limited company and therefore he shouldn't have any need to check my passport. I've tried explaining this to him but he insists on seeing it saying that they have to vet all their contractors this way. Has anybody else been asked to do this?
    Many people. He is wrong.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Yes, lots of pimps ask this, they are all wrong, but one should remember they are led into this false belief due to propaganda as it is part of the UK governments campaign to increase identity fraud and aid terrorists.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        Yes, lots of pimps ask this, they are all wrong, but one should remember they are led into this false belief due to propaganda as it is part of the UK governments campaign to increase identity fraud and aid terrorists.
        LOL spilling coffee!
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Tell him you'll let his company see the passport of one of your company's employees if your company can see the passport of one of his company's employees. Maybe that will get it through his thick skull.

Also, technically, it is illegal to ask for a copy of a passport. He would have to see the real thing.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            Tell him you'll let his company see the passport of one of your company's employees if your company can see the passport of one of his company's employees. Maybe that will get it through his thick skull.

Also, technically, it is illegal to ask for a copy of a passport. He would have to see the real thing.
            A few things here.

1) You can send a company letter to him saying that your company has seen the passports of every employee and is willing to undertake the responsibility of ensuring all resources provided are eligible to work in the UK. This is fine under the legislation.

2) He would have to see the original, and he'd have to see it in your hand to actually comply with the regulations.

3) Thirdly by not getting an undertaking from your company or seeing your passport himself within a 'timely' manner (and 4 months isn't timely) he has already effectively broken the law. I suggest you shop him to the Dept of Employment and see him riggle out of that piece of horrendous record keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
              3) Thirdly by not getting an undertaking from your company or seeing your passport himself within a 'timely' manner (and 4 months isn't timely) he has already effectively broken the law. I suggest you shop him to the Dept of Employment and see him riggle out of that piece of horrendous record keeping.
              But he's not an employee of the agency is he ?
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                Funny - I had to send a photocopy of mine to Cater Allen to open a bank account.

Comment

tell him he can see your arse for free.
                  Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    And what, may I ask, happens if one has no passport?
                    Or driver's licence? I think you cease to exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X