• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Treasury - Brown was right to scrap pension tax credits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Treasury has dismissed as "abject nonsense" claims that Gordon Brown ignored warnings about his first Budget creating a £75bn gap in pension funds. Files released under the Freedom of Information Act show officials warned of the effects of abolishing dividend tax credits, the Times says.

The Treasury insisted the documents proved Mr Brown had been right to scrap the credits.
    So, as long as the Treasury gets more money, feck the pensioners! Because they aren't earning any more and no use!

I didn't think about it at the time...but even my son's trust fund with F&C is being dinged by this and the stamp duty! Now I would have thought he would be completely exempt...

I was used to my Canadian funds (shhhhhh) which are completely tax free..so didn't think he would be caught. So a "tax free" vehicle to save funds for my son's future is not really tax free.

B**TARDS!!
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      Treasury - Brown was right to scrap pension tax creditsSo, as long as the Treasury gets more money, feck the pensioners! Because they aren't earning any more and no use!
      Welcome to the future. So, the man who stole your old age will soon become the man who steals the country's future. I should have emigrated when I had the chance!

Comment

I'm not sure I understand all this stuff!!!
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

But Treasury minister Ed Balls said Mr Brown had scrapped the credits on the "best advice" of civil servants.
          Surely there are words in this sentence that shoudn't be in there together

Brown, Best Advice, Civil Servants. Surely must be some English rule that forbids mixing these into one sentence.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Treasury - Brown was right to scrap pension tax creditsSo, as long as the Treasury gets more money, feck the pensioners! Because they aren't earning any more and no use!
            Brown has never been right, whether the meaning of "right" is 1. correct or 2. politically right-wing.

Apparently the deficit in pensions because of this highway robbery is now something like £75 billion!
            Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
              I'm not sure I understand all this stuff!!!
              It's simple 'a voter and their money are soon parted'

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This one is going to run a bit, and might be fun: Times
                After a two-year freedom of information battle with the Treasury, The Times obtained documents on Friday which showed that Mr Brown had pushed through tax changes in his first Budget in 1997 despite warnings from officials that it would cost occupational and private pension funds up to £75 billion and make millions of pensioners worse off.

Ed Balls, his junior minister and close ally, insisted that the tax change was undertaken on the advice of civil servants. “It was made clear that pensions funds would be the gainers in the future, that the claims that this would leave a hole in the finances were unrealistic,” he told the BBC.
                Well, Ed Balls talks balls - no surprise there.

Now the Treasury are saying that the CBI were pushing for the change. The CBI are saying that's bollocks, they are on record as being against it! It is obvious that something is up though...
                The Chancellor has been accused of attempting to bury the news by releasing it late on Friday afternoon, while Parliament was in recess and he was out of the country. Officials denied that the Chancellor tried to bury the story. They said their lawyers had told them that they had to release the papers on Friday before a tribunal hearing with the Information Commissioner today. However, there is no tribunal scheduled until next month.
                So, more lies!

Comment

The New Lie government telling lies? Gosh, who would've thought it...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Of course all the Senior Treasury Civil Servants, advisors, Gordo & Balls(up) are on fat indexed-linked pensions They're happy to f**k the rest of us

Comment

Working...
                    X