• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substitution - Source?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitution - Source?

Hello Each

I've just spent a while googling for a source of a possible `substitute` if / when I am not available for work etc ... not to mention the benefit that `substitution` would have re IR35 etc.

I'm surprised to have drawn a blank so far re a site / a source of local IT Contractors willing to help on a `mutually beneficial basis`.

Anyone offer me a steer or are you all sorted and I'm `Billy No Mates`! lol

PS. Just notice that phrase under my name ... how do I change it please? Have just looked on UCP and it does not appear to be one of the settings.

Cheers
    Gra_Hal
    Last edited by Gra_Hal; 1 April 2007, 11:09.

PCG has a members comercial and a collaboration section for such things. Also the contractor alliance site from these (CUK) guys might do the trick.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Gra_Hal
      Hello Each

I've just spent a while googling for a source of a possible `substitute` if / when I am not available for work etc ... not to mention the benefit that `substitution` would have re IR35 etc.

I'm surprised to have drawn a blank so far re a site / a source of local IT Contractors willing to help on a `mutually beneficial basis`.

Anyone offer me a steer or are you all sorted and I'm `Billy No Mates`! lol

Cheers
      Gra_Hal
      It's a good issue to raise. Don't know if CUK have a forum or facility to register location and skillset to help out. The problem with substitution is you're either sub-contracting the work which means you're liable if the substitute scews up or the substitute become a temporary emplyee if you're a ltd co. If it's the latter, you're liable for employers NI, other deductions and excruciating paperwork.

For what it's worth, I insist on a T&C clause that does include substitution to avoid IR35 but the clause excludes mutually agreed leave or if I'm off sick for 5 consecutive days. In reality, I never take leave during a gig, unlees it's 6 months or more duration and I'm happy to cough and splutter on site. Getting hit by a low-flying aircraft might alter your work plans though.

Some pimps don't believe we have the right to call our own shots so I always tell 'em for **** off, but some will accomodate you if they're prepared to accept a level playing field. Those that do are usually better at acknowledging your interests as well as their own. The rest are only interested in shafting you.

Comment

Working...
      X