• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors Article from Sunday Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors Article from Sunday Times

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1592469.ece

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    This is quite a useful site for ltd co's http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/

Comment

Two things wrong with that article:

1. It leaves the impression that all contractors incorporate purely to avoid tax and NICs. Which is incorrect.

2. The following has been written in a way that suggests that contractors pay no NICs at all:
      Personal service companies.

Unaffected by the Budget. Taxed at company rate and exempt from national insurance. Workers must prove that they are self-employed.
      The "self-employed" bit is inaccurate as well.

Comment

Gosh, it is really quite shockingly wrong. Wondered if it was an April fools at one point. Done a "Have your say" feedback.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Gosh, it is really quite shockingly wrong. Wondered if it was an April fools at one point. Done a "Have your say" feedback.
          I tried that - it seems to have broken.

Comment

The article states:

Personal service companies.

Unaffected by the Budget. Taxed at company rate and exempt from national insurance. Workers must prove that they are self-employed.

__________________________________________________ _____________

As the company rate will rise to 22%, 'Unaffected by Budget' is absolute nonsense. Also employees with low salaries pay more tax due to the abolition of the 10% band, which I believe was again aimed at Personal Service Companies, although the side-effects are to hit about 3m low-earners who can ill-afford to pay this extra 'stealth' tax, masquerading as a tax cut.

Comment

lauged when I read about the contractor who earns £1.5K a day but doesn't want to manage her own affairs. 1 days work and she can pay the annual accountant charges.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
                lauged when I read about the contractor who earns £1.5K a day but doesn't want to manage her own affairs. 1 days work and she can pay the annual accountant charges.
                and have enough left for HDTV!

Comment

£1.5k per day

How the hell do they live on that?!?!??

Comment

Originally posted by kirk
                    £1.5k per day

How the hell do they live on that?!?!??
                    ask Sally.

Comment

Working...
                    X