• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming accommodation expenses.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming accommodation expenses.

I don’t have a permanent home ,I will be renting on an ad-hoc basis – depending on where the job is. ( Not that I have my first one yet )

Can someone please confirm to me that I have to forget claiming rent/travelling expenses in this case ?
    Thanks

IIRC unless you have another 'primary' residence then you cannot claim expenses (as it's not wholly and exclusively for business)

Comment

Travelling to/from where? It made me think a bit.
      Having a permanent address has a few side-effects. WHere do your bank statements go, your driving licence say etc? It will also be easier to gt credit checked - eg for renting!
      If your "permanent address" is even with parents etc, then yes you SHOULD be able to claim the rent etc. and travelling between there & your TEMPORARY home. This is additional cost you would not incur if you were staying there. If you don't go back weekends then it is only a propertion of the rent.
      If you are planning to move your permanent address between places, say every 6 months, there are also relocation allowances, that might be payable - permie companies pay them, and I believe they are quite "tax efficient", this again is an accountant issue.
      Travel from your place of abode, to wherever you are working, is payable, unless you hit the 24 month rule
      You need to ask an accountant really - it looks like your questions could be very specific to you.

Comment

Thanks dmini for confirming what I thought - Ask the accountant.

Comment

Working...
        X