• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

maximum work travel time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maximum work travel time

What is the maximum work travel time that you consider , when looking for gigs ? (
    Looks like in London 2h is not that uncommon.

an hour is enough for me; although I seem to be travelling to Leeds 3-4 times a month at the moment which is around 2 hours.

Comment

Tough one to weigh up till you actually start the travelling on a regular basis. What looks like a piss easy 20 mins to cover 5 miles may actually take a hour in reality.

Couldn't put up with 2 hours each way, no way. I'd rather park a motorhome in the office car park. Anything over 1 hour starts to feel like a waste of your life, because it is.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH
        Tough one to weigh up till you actually start the travelling on a regular basis. What looks like a piss easy 20 mins to cover 5 miles may actually take a hour in reality.

Couldn't put up with 2 hours each way, no way. I'd rather park a motorhome in the office car park. Anything over 1 hour starts to feel like a waste of your life, because it is.

In my previous job I rode 25 mins to work each way so I saved a lot of my life time already. .

I guess it depends on how desperate you are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
          What is the maximum work travel time that you consider , when looking for gigs ? (
          Easy. 45 mins max. Then it's an extra £2/hr per 1 hr tavel (there and back) on top of the proposed rate So if you travel 2 hours a day total, it's£4 a day. So if you're travelling say 2 hours per day, it's an extra £20 per we ek.

If the pimp says 'no' go tell 'em to **** off. But don't go overboard. You wouldn't want a pimp thinking he/she is taking the p*ss less than you are.

The fact they are phoning people who are living further and further away from the gig implies that all the one's they have contacted nearer to the gig won't touch it for one reason or another. Make your travel pay. You're wearing out your car and your daylight for them. It has a price.

Comment

I regularly commuted from Doncaster to the City (London). Get some work done on the way / watch a movie on the laptop (pre DVD so had to swap disks somewhere near Peterborough)
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

1 hour max. Ideally (and this has been the case for a long time) 30 minutes. I pity those poor b***rs who have to sit in traffic day in day out. Currently a 10 minute train + 12 minute bike ride - fantastic. A bit of reading done + exercise every working day.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                1 hour max. Ideally (and this has been the case for a long time) 30 minutes. I pity those poor b***rs who have to sit in traffic day in day out. Currently a 10 minute train + 12 minute bike ride - fantastic. A bit of reading done + exercise every working day.
                Thats ideal that Bob.

I always said no more than an hour each way, but I'm currently doing: -

15 mins car,
                45 mins train,
                20 minute walk

And it's a really really nice journey. Even when I have to hang around at the train station with delays and stuff, I dont really mind it.

Before this gig I had 50 minutes on a cramped metro each way - that was far worse.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Anything over an hour will grind you down eventually, can do longer for short term gigs (but they always get extended and then you suffer !).

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                    Depends also on the type of journey. In London even 20 minutes in an overpacked sweaty tube are already too much. 2h each way? Oh well I still remember the words of an ex-colleague "I don't need more spare time, I wouldn't know what to do with it". Sad but some people are just so bored that they cannot assign a value to their free time.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X