• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories

When I wert' lad, I remember House prices, Farmer Trolls, Lizard men and ATW's magic software. Blimey that seems a long time ago - At least there's the wise words of Xog.
    And whats this? MFan a permie? Argggh!

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun
    When I wert' lad, I remember House prices, Farmer Trolls, Lizard men and ATW's magic software. Blimey that seems a long time ago - At least there's the wise words of Xog.

What the **** you on about? Are you pissed?

Comment

It was lot better then

Heh he - you missed it - numpty boy.
      When you were being potty trained, contractors at the time were pulling in mega fortunes (Pre IR35). Unfortunately, now its only reasonable money.
      Paid the mortgage off in 3 years at the time. You can't do that now....

Comment

I paid a my 25 year mortgage off in 16 years. Laugh? I nearly bought a round.

Comment

Good for K!
          I guess ATW still hasn't got a house. You know what? He used to bang on and on about the impending collapse of House prices.
          I guess every dog has its day, he may be right - only after they've trippled in price since he started saying it!

Comment

Heh he - you missed it - numpty boy.
            When you were being potty trained, contractors at the time were pulling in mega fortunes (Pre IR35). Unfortunately, now its only reasonable money.
            Paid the mortgage off in 3 years at the time. You can't do that now....
            Yeah but houses were 10 times cheaper then, I doubt rates were as high as they are now.

Comment

Buying my house early was piss! It's the ******* council tax I have to cope with. If the rumours are true, I might get wacked even more for having a house with a view especially as we have a right pair of go'oers over the street; his missus has tits the size of Uttoxeter, and she likes to flaunt them in front of an open window. I know this because my binoculars are high quality!

Comment

"I doubt if rates were as high as they are now"

One guy I know pulled £40K in one month at Volvo (Sweden) during the mid 90s.
                It was double time at Weekends and overtime. He did the offshore agent trick and was paid only enough to satisfy the local tax authority. After one year he worked that ALL his costs totalled 16% of his turnover. That was for everything, tax and living costs. He stayed out of the UK for 5 years (jumping from one country to the next) to escape the UK/European taxman and came back to the UK a very wealthy man ( or so I was told

Comment

"I doubt if rates were as high as they are now"

One guy I know pulled £40K in one month at Volvo (Sweden) during the mid 90s.
                  It was double time at Weekends and overtime. He did the offshore agent trick and was paid only enough to satisfy the local tax authority. After one year he worked that ALL his costs totalled 16% of his turnover. That was for everything, tax and living costs. He stayed out of the UK for 5 years (jumping from one country to the next) to escape the UK/European taxman and came back to the UK a very wealthy man ( or so I was told
                  Why have rates gone down so much , will they ever get up to that again?

Comment

Steady Rates

IMO, They'll never go up much more than they are now.

The income was high 10 years ago because
                    -no IR35
                    -lax tax regimes in Europe
                    -high rates because there was an explosion of demand for "ERP" IT folk. Couple that with the the Y2K bug need for new software (!) and the dot com boom and it was a heady recipe of one band wagon after the other.

Bear in mind this was all before the "Bangalore" of the last few years and the upcoming "outsourcing / SOA" boom which is happening right now.
                    Yep, there will be another boom for sure but you'll have to be living in India to see it (on £100 a day).

We are all "raw product" now - costed to for the lowest bidder.
                    Still a "good" life but not the quick bucks generator it once was.

Comment

Working...
                    X