• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sent to Amnesty International

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent to Amnesty International

Hello,

I visited your site today, in the belief that AI would have an opinion on the existing incarceration of the UK Sailors in Iran.

I am at a loss to understand why there is no mention of this event, nor any action you are undertaking to defend the rights of these UK Service Personnel.

If AI wish to be taken seriously, and not be accused of discrimination, then all Human Rights need to be defended, and not those selectively chosen to meet your own organisation's politcal ends.

To do otherwise, smacks of hyprocrisy.

Regards,

BGG
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

it's probably because the UN's already doing that. Amnesty's a practical charity that focuses on low profile cases for which it can make a difference. It isn't a political think tank that's obliged to have a public opinion on everything, or add its voice to the millions.

I used to be an amnesty member; I left for practical reasons rather than ideological; and there are areas where I think it's strayed from its original aims, but this is not one of them.

oh and political, hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
      it's probably because the UN's already doing that. Amnesty's a practical charity that focuses on low profile cases for which it can make a difference. It isn't a political think tank that's obliged to have a public opinion on everything, or add its voice to the millions.
      Indeed. Amnesty, or its members, probably does have an opinion. But it's not fair to criticise it for not weighing in as a political body, when it isn't. I guess the OP's problem is that he thinks that it is.

Shame to piss on a good charity because they don't trumpet your politics.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Everyone knows that AI only gets interested when its the west oppressing some camel humpers...not the other way round!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          Everyone knows that AI only gets interested when its the west oppressing some camel humpers...not the other way round!

Mailman
          The village idiot is back. Who let him out - I thought he and Chico been sectioned?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            I thought he and Chico been sectioned?
            I'm sure LB cut him up into little pieces and stirred him into my marmalade - it's heavenly!

IGMC right away

Comment

I guess the OP's problem is that he thinks that it is.
              Yes I did, you're quite right.

Oh well. NVM.

And it's BGG please..I've been posting here since this board's inception, and many years on its previous and better incarnation.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

It were much better in them days. You could post a comment and then go out leaving yer door unlocked. Not like now. Yeees.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                  I'm sure LB cut him up into little pieces and stirred him into my marmalade - it's heavenly!

IGMC right away
                  Surely there can be no higher praise.

Many thanks, realityhack, and to all who have enjoyed and praised my marmalade.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    The village idiot is back. Who let him out - I thought he and Chico been sectioned?
                    I got tired of humping yo momma!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X