• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancer Research

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancer Research

Morning!

One of my very very best mates has announced she's going to break into a run - which has shocked us all.

She sent this email today:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 04 April 2007 10:06

Subject: The unlikely event of Emma breaking into a run

Hi,

I know people hate it when these emails come round, but I am now starting to understand that unless you ask, then you don't tend to get much response, so here goes.

Some of you may know that in recent years I have lost three wonderful grandparents to cancer. I believe it is one of the nastiest, most evil things recent generations have had to face, and although it has been around for quite a while, we still don't seem to know much about it. And it seems that noone is safe from its touch either. I am sure we are all coming across friends, colleagues and loved ones who are affected by it.

But, no, I am not about to re-train as a medical scientist to try and find a cure, I am doing something equally as unlikely; I am taking part in the Cancer Research Race for Life. As you will appreciate, this is not entirely my bag of chips; breaking into a run for anything has to be extremely worthwhile, and hasn't been witnessed for quite a while.

So, how do you go about supporting your old mate as she huffs her way around a 5km run in the midsummer heat? Well, I would be incredibly impressed, humbled and grateful if you could click over to my sponsorship website (Me? A website?! Madness!) and put your name down for a few quid. That would be fabulous. And I may even reward you with a terrible picture of me sweating buckets but happy in the achievement once I've finished.

So what do you think? Ah, go on, you know I am unlikely to develop a taste for this sort of thing and be pestering you every year, and would you really miss a few quid?

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/toadyem

Thanks.

Look forward to catching up with you soon,

Emma

She's about the nicest person you'll ever meet - and she's set a typically humble target, so I thought it would be nice to wildly exceed her expectations.

Just putting this out there...
    Last edited by realityhack; 4 April 2007, 09:52.

Does anyone know where the money raised for these charities actually ends up ?

Do they give the money to organisations like Glaxo & AZ to develop new drugs that they then charge a fortune for them ?

All for giving if I knew what happens to the money

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
      Does anyone know where the money raised for these charities actually ends up ?

Do they give the money to organisations like Glaxo & AZ to develop new drugs that they then charge a fortune for them ?

All for giving if I knew what happens to the money
      Good point - I didn't even check before donating.

According to their website the cash (80% raised - the other 20% is fundraising costs) goes towards awareness campaigns, grants, research, understanding cancer, developing treatments, and support for patients. Accounts are here.

Comment

Working...
      X