• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I've left Giant Powerhouse - advice please..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've left Giant Powerhouse - advice please..

Hi,

Following on from the recent communications from Giant, I have today requested my P45.

I have spent a good few hours researching, my head now hursts but I am really none the wiser as to set up and run my own limited company, or to find a decent umbrella company.

I am not IR 35 compliant, and my contract brings in about 60k a year. I have made an appointment to see an accountant this week, but am after some advice beforehand from people that have been in the same boat.

will I benifit from using my own limited company, or am I better off using an umbrella?

Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Dan

go limited.
    Theres been a few people like you in here in the past 48hrs so have a look through the last 30 created threads
    Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Just get a ltd company then it is done and dusted. Its not hard and its not expensive - I got mine free as part of some deal, but it really doesn't cost much. There are a number of quality accountancy firms that consistently get good press on here. Mine is SJD, whom I switched to a few months ago - so far so good, there are plenty of others. I wouldn't recommend Three 60 group due to their super high charges - the work they did was fine though.

Comment

Thanks for the response..

Company set up, bank account opened and Accountant chosen.

Still a little bit unsure as to what to pay myself, what to claim for as expenses and the like, but am hoping I will pick it up as I go along. The accountant seems pretty helpful if I have any queries, and I have friends that are contractors, so I should be OK.

I think the problem for people who have used companies such as Giant is that the thought of running the company and paper work yourself is a bit daunting. The more I read and thought about it over the past few days, the more unsure I became

My advice to anyone in the same boat, is to have a chat to any friends who are already contracting, then have a chat with your accountant, and you'll find you were worrying over nothing

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by plattdh
          Thanks for the response..

Company set up, bank account opened and Accountant chosen.

Still a little bit unsure as to what to pay myself, what to claim for as expenses and the like, but am hoping I will pick it up as I go along. The accountant seems pretty helpful if I have any queries, and I have friends that are contractors, so I should be OK.

I think the problem for people who have used companies such as Giant is that the thought of running the company and paper work yourself is a bit daunting. The more I read and thought about it over the past few days, the more unsure I became

My advice to anyone in the same boat, is to have a chat to any friends who are already contracting, then have a chat with your accountant, and you'll find you were worrying over nothing

Thanks

Dan
          You're paying an accountant, so they should do 99% of the paperwork and explain the bits you have to do. All you have to do is keep track of what you spend and what you earn. It's only a small single-stream company so it's not hard, difficult or very time-consuming and as soon as you think it is, it's time to get a new accountant!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X