• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Miele or Siemens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: Miele or Siemens

Home Appliance Experts

building a house requires you to install white goods all at once

mine's at that stage

looking through the catalogues the Miele stuff seems twice the price of Siemens and others on a like for like basis

is the Miele stuff really worth the extra hard earned ?

Will Siemens and others appliances last as long or longer ?

feck's sake when will it end it's all pay pay pay

Milan.

Miele

It depends how often you want to buy the stuff.
    Miele washing machines generally last about 15 years.
    Anything else up to about 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      Home Appliance Experts

mine's at that stage

looking through the catalogues the Miele stuff seems twice the price of Siemens and others on a like for like basis

Milan.
      Bosch are also failry good.

I managed to see a good presentation today on who's who in the kitchen market (i.e. who is regarded as the best and the worst - also who sells the same product (same supplier, same quality) for about 25% of the price shame its covered by my NDA

Comment

Home Inspectors are on their way to help you select from the Official Carbon Neutral Catalogue as we speak.

Hmm...if we are all going Carbon Neutral now, does that mean we have to throw away our pencils ?

(Waits for a joke about lead in pencils....I know it's coming (pun intended))
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Miele vacumn cleaners are great. Forget the Dyson hype, Miele's just work and go on working. You'll look pretty silly when you come to wash your dishes in one though

Comment

We've got a Miele washing machine and a Miele tumble dryer because we've got four kids and the bloody machines are on the go 24/7 pretty much so we needed reliability.

Trouble is, they've both had faults recently (both about two years old) and the service from Miele was terrible both times. They've got this weird system where they email you at 5pm the day before the engineer comes round. Before that you have no idea when he's coming. And they never had parts with them and would just shrug and say it would be about ten days, maybe a fortnight, leaving us with no washing machine at all.

But we do hammer the machines a bit more than normal people, so I might be being unfair on them, I dunno. (Hint: No, I'm not being unfair.)

Comment

In the light of dangit's experience, Miele might have better service where your new abode is. Check out what it's like with other manufacturers too.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                Bosch are also failry good.

(
                Went for Bosch the last time - separate washing machine & tumble dry units, both have given no end of grief shortly after the warranty expired
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  Home Appliance Experts

mine's at that stage

Milan.
                  My impression is that Miele really is better than Siemens, Bosch, and AEG (Liebherr is alas now Whirlpool). It's not quite the "Rolls-Royce handmade perfection nothing ever goes wrong and when it does the engineers will fly out and fix it" level that they like to pretend (but neither is Rolls-royce). Miele white goods are fecking heavy, for stability (cement blocks in the base), and run quiet 5 years down the road as well as the week they're new. They're well-designed too (better racks so more dishes wash better etc).

On the other side, they will cost twice as much and last twice as long: but only the first is absolutely certain. And when your Siemens goes, you buy another one. It's new and clean, probably more modern, and under your control.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I've got a bog standard Indesit bought for £150 11 years ago and still going strong. Forget the brands - they're all made in the same factory in China anyway.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X