• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone jumped on the Vista bandwagon yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone jumped on the Vista bandwagon yet?

I'm working at a gig where one of the directors has hinted we should roll out Vista to all 600 desktops (I think it's because he went to Pissy World and bought a laptop with the home version of it on).

Unfortunately, this gig is one where IT doesn't argue it's corner preferring to to go along with ill thought out ideas and then wondering why it takes all the sh1t when it all goes tits up.

Personally, I haven't used Vista but I have read quite a lot of tech articles and it just seems to be XP with whistles and bells but not much else. Frankly Vista doesn't really interest me. XP Pro is sufficiently mature enough.

While we wait for Vista SP1 (isn't that saying something?) I got the feeling it might be time to start looking for another gig. I can see this pet project falling on its @rse.

Anyone here done a vista roll-out? Any advice? Should I stay or should I go?

I have heard that corporates can no longer buy XP they have to buy Vista and downgrade to XP.

I have had Vista for 3 months and I don't understand the reason for Vista - I agree it is XP with bells and whistles. It has to be *unconfigured* to work, the defaults are a pain in the butt. All of the auto updaters are a pain.

You play with all the gadjets for half an hour and then back to the XP/win2000 everyday business.

Office XP sometimes works - Outlook is unreliable - forcing an upgrade path - uprade to nothing much different.

Maybe someone can say something good about Vista - I would really like to hear about the good bits.

oh, built in partitioning is convienient and ................hmmn

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
      I'm working at a gig where one of the directors has hinted we should roll out Vista to all 600 desktops (I think it's because he went to Pissy World and bought a laptop with the home version of it on).

Unfortunately, this gig is one where IT doesn't argue it's corner preferring to to go along with ill thought out ideas and then wondering why it takes all the sh1t when it all goes tits up.

Personally, I haven't used Vista but I have read quite a lot of tech articles and it just seems to be XP with whistles and bells but not much else. Frankly Vista doesn't really interest me. XP Pro is sufficiently mature enough.

While we wait for Vista SP1 (isn't that saying something?) I got the feeling it might be time to start looking for another gig. I can see this pet project falling on its @rse.

Anyone here done a vista roll-out? Any advice? Should I stay or should I go?
      To be a honest friend to you - Don't take it GO AWAY.

btw , do you mind sending me the contacts of that director ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
        To be a honest friend to you - Don't take it GO AWAY.

btw , do you mind sending me the contacts of that director ?
        I am beholden to confidentiality. Except to say that he thinks software is something black and silky so I daren't ask him about hardare!

Comment

Well, XP was just Windows 2000 (or NT5) with adornments, so what the heck have MS been working on for the last several years?

The way I see it (could be wrong), Vista is XP with DRM and a UI which a requires a gamer-type video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
            Well, XP was just Windows 2000 (or NT5) with adornments, so what the heck have MS been working on for the last several years?

The way I see it (could be wrong), Vista is XP with DRM and a UI which a requires a gamer-type video card.

Well, for what is was worth, I did mention a few things when the whimp-of-IT (er, sorry, Head of IT) told us of this plan. Such as we may need to replace about a quarter of the desktops as they are barely Vista-spec'd but I got the sense I was being seen as cynical.

I think it's new-gig huntng time!

Comment

Vista is just the next Windows, however it is the most secure one, has built-in indexed search , deploys via editable images, supports IPv6, ReadyBoost, Full disk encryption , Built in Antispyware , Advanced Firewall , Health Control, Snipping tool ( my favorite )....

Comment

I wouldnt touch VISTA till SP1
                Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Unless you want to spend ages switching off all the annoying/distracting crap I'd not recommend Vista in a professional environment. Much better to use Windows 2003 as a desktop. More stable, less intrusive, and more performant on existing kit.

Until at lease SP1 and maybe SP2 Vista should only be used at home, or for light commercial use by MS Office gimps.
                  "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
                    Vista is just the next Windows, however it is the most secure one
                    You reckon? - http://www.alex-ionescu.com/?p=34

Less than 2 months after release and Vista's so-called protected processes have been cracked. In other words, new malware could effectively masquerade as being digitally signed by Microsoft. Nice...
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X