• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: Gas or Electric Induction hob

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Experts: Gas or Electric Induction hob

Evening All,

continuing the Benes 'Question for the Experts' series,

the next question subject has reared its ugly head.

We've got mains gas connected to the house and have the possibility/choice to have a gas cooking hob or an electric one.

Me and 'er indoors much prefer gas to electric. And we cannot stand these induction cookers where you have to have special pans, are scared of scratching them and have to press the glass a million times to get the cooker to reduce or increase power.

However, having said that, I dunno why, but everyone from the man at the kitchen studio, to the manufacturers are saying don't get a gas hob get an induction one.

What does the panel think of the electric induction hobs against gas hobs ?

TIA

Milan.

Gas, gas, gas. All the way for cooking and the Aga as a backup, sock drier etc.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

induction is great to cook on...

i got the stellar 700 pans too which induct and look nice...

go for it!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

oh well 50/50 at the moment then

Kramer have you ever cooked on gas ?

Milan.

Comment

Induction hobs were explained to me as the electric option that's most like gas. (Have never seen or used one myself.)

If being like gas is good, then surely the real thing is best?

Also there's design elegance to consider; does burning gas (or something else) in a power station, converting some of the heat to electricity, getting some of the electricity to your house (after transmission losses) and converting it back to heat via a an electric stove that's "gas-like" really make more sense than just piping and burning the gas direct?

Is there anything about induction hobs that makes them better than gas?

Comment

Gas hob, electric cooker.

Its the only sensible combination people!!
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Got a Miele induction hob in 2004 and wouldn't change it for anything else. Very quick and instantly controllable, looks a million dollars and unlike a gas hob you can put your shopping down on it!

If you're anywhere near Oxford then go to the Miele showroom (you can do a 4 hour cooking session there too I think) but don't take your wallet!

Comment

For controlability for the hob, always go with gas. There is no warmup or cool down time.

For the oven, go with a fan-assisted electric one. Much even temperature.
                Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Boxman,

very useful feedback,

on the subject of putting your shopping on it

I've heard that you have to be very careful with them to avoid scratching them.

What do you think ?

Milan.

Comment

Definitely a gas hob fan here, and I too have always thought it daft to burn gas to produce electricity to turn back to heat.

The big problem with electric fan assisted ovens is that I've never made decent Yorkshire puds with them.

You might be surprised when I say this, but my last apartment had an Electrolux oven and it was excellent (except for the Yorkshire puds of course).

This was of far superior quality to any Electrolux I've ever come across in the UK. If a recipe called for 35 minutes at x degrees, the oven got it spot on. The spit roast and meat thermometer options were worth their weight in gold.

Back to Miele for the dishwasher. I've a mate who has one and even though he's got an open plan kitchen/dining area, you don't even hear it when sitting at the table.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 8 April 2007, 21:41.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X