• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions required to sort the men from the boys!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions required to sort the men from the boys!

Right, Ive got an advert out for a junior Crystal /SQL /Excel reports developer.

My boss wants ten easy questions that will sort the wheat from the chaff. Required is a couple of years experience on all of the above?

What questions do you reckon I should pose?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    Excel reports developer.

What date do you leave school?
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

"What date do you leave school?"

This is about technical skills SA, not when he's old enough for you to pounce on him.

Comment

in the MS world,

'Right, Ive got an advert out for a junior Crystal /SQL /Excel reports developer.

My boss wants ten easy questions that will sort the wheat from the chaff. Required is a couple of years experience on all of the above?',

does having a couple of years experience of the technologies make you a Junior ?

Oh Dear.

I guess so when you're competing with all these mid forties visual basic developerz

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          in the MS world,

'Right, Ive got an advert out for a junior Crystal /SQL /Excel reports developer.

My boss wants ten easy questions that will sort the wheat from the chaff. Required is a couple of years experience on all of the above?',

does having a couple of years experience of the technologies make you a Junior ?

Oh Dear.

I guess so when you're competing with all these mid forties visual basic developerz

Milan.

you could try "what's the difference between MS Excel and MS Word?" - that usually sees 70% fall at this first hurdle

Comment

Right, Ive got an advert out for a junior Crystal /SQL /Excel reports developer.

My boss wants ten easy questions that will sort the wheat from the chaff. Required is a couple of years experience on all of the above?

What questions do you reckon I should pose?
            SQL - what is the difference between an inner and outer join.

Excel - What would you have to do in order to use formulas with a imported data set in Excel. (answer: tell it to overwrite cells not delete the or the formulas go ape tulip)

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
              SQL - what is the difference between an inner and outer join.

Excel - What would you have to do in order to use formulas with a imported data set in Excel. (answer: tell it to overwrite cells not delete the or the formulas go ape tulip)
              I always thought SQL stood for "Something Queer-Looking". Hey ho

Comment

Milan.

If you put a couple of questions in, you never know it may well be a role you've applied for.....

Comment

Don't forget to throw in a red herring, something that has nothing to do with the subject. Weed out the bulltulipers.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

"What date do you leave school?"

This is about technical skills SA, not when he's old enough for you to pounce on him.

Well for SQL, you need to do one of those "Scenario" things - where you give him 3 tables with some values in

People_Table
                    Last_name First_name Employee_number Address_id Phone_id
                    Jones Fred 12345 1 1
                    Smith Paul 78945 2 NULL
                    Knacker Dan 54983 NULL 2

Address_Table
                    Address_id House_number Street_name Town
                    1 11 Cherry Lane Derby
                    2 74 Stratton Terrace Newcastle

Phone_Table
                    Phone_id Phone_Type Phone_Number
                    1 Home 0191 2465856
                    1 Mobile 07945623512
                    2 Home 01245 456231

And ask him to write the code to: -
                    1) Bring back all employees with their address details if they have them.
                    2) Bring back the employees who live in Newcastle.
                    3) Bring back all details where the person does not have a contact telephone number.

Some such sh*te like that would determie basic SQL skills I'd have thought. It depends how hard you want to be?
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X