• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a medical

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a medical

Been thinking about this for a while, big reason is that Id like to get it done before I go contracting as if I have something wrong with me Id rather find out and stay with the company private health care he he

Anyway its not cheap at bupa so any other suggestions: heres the bupa ones Id have looked at.
    In-depth health assessment

BUPA Classic Health Assessment

Our most popular assessment provides an in-depth profile of your health and wellbeing and includes a 45-minute consultation with a BUPA doctor.

We assess the health of your heart and lungs and carry out detailed blood analysis to test for conditions such as raised cholesterol, diabetes and gout. We'll check your hearing and vision and provide you with a detailed body composition profile, including your body fat percentage. We’ll also talk you through diet and lifestyle.

If you are over 45, a test that might indicate bowel cancer in also included.

For men, we'll provide a testicular examination and if you’re over 50, a blood test that may indicate prostate cancer.

For women, we provide a cervical smear, and a pelvic and breast examination. If you’re aged 50 or over, the assessment also includes a thyroid function blood test. If you are over 40, a mammogram can be included for an additional fee.
    Duration: Up to 2 hours
    Time with doctor: Up to 45 minutes
    Number of core tests: 36-37

£430 men
    £460 women (£517 with mammogram)

In-depth health and fitness assessment
    BUPA Premier Health Assessment

A comprehensive and advanced assessment recommended for anyone who takes a particular interest in fitness and lifestyle as well as their general health.

In addition to all that is offered by the Classic, the Premier Health Assessment includes a cardio-respiratory exercise test to assess the efficiency of your heart, lungs, metabolism, circulation and muscles during exercise. It provides a measurement of your aerobic fitness and can help identify any areas of concern including the early stages of heart disease.

Duration: Up to 2½ hours
    Time with doctor: Up to 1 hour
    Number of core tests: 37-38

£580 men

F**k that for a laugh - tempting fate.
    Call the cops

Comment

Worth every penny - think of all the great stats you'll have about yourself. You'll be able to bore and upset your mates down the pub..."Did I mention that my body fat percentage actually puts me in the top 5% in the country" or even better "Who wants to see these colour photos I've had done of the inside of my colon, go on, I've had them blown up to 10 by 8 and everything"

Comment

I had a BUPA classic last year. It was interesting and some of the stuff they can tell from a blood test is amazing.

Anyway, cut down on the fags and booze was the advice...

...no tulip!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The classic is probably what Id go for, did think if Im spending that much though should I just think sod it and go for the full on one for an extra £150

Comment

I know someone who's had a drink problem for years, she was so worried that she may have done some serious damage to her liver she thought it would be a good idea to have a BUPA health check, when she got the all clear it was just a green light to carry on getting bolloxed all the time... better of not knowing and being careful if you ask me.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

From what I understand by the time you do get symptoms from liver damage, its too late
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

well Im not a heavy drinker and only smoke when drinking and then not very much.

Just want to make sure I havent got something dodgy wrong with me that Id rather get done private!

Comment

Working...
                X