• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Mountain Bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Mountain Bike

OK so I fancy getting a bike, I live right next to a load of trails in the Peak District and so should start using them.

Willing to spend up to about 700 quid.

Quite fancy a Orange or Gary Fisher, because they 'seem' quality bikes.

Anyway, opinions on what bike people?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

You won't go wrong with this bike

Comment

I do the Peak District on a Cross Country, and for £700 you're not going to get much of a Mountain Bike, but could get a reasonable Cross Country bike.

For a mountain bike you need to start looking £1500 and up.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

You can have my Marin East Peak for 700, cost me a grand, ridden on mostly flat stuff, nothing worse than grass about 20 times !

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          For a mountain bike you need to start looking £1500 and up.
          What a load of crap, like most things, unless you are any good you won't notice the extra pounds. If I were you I'd start with something like this;

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22184

PS if you buy a bike in September when the new bike models come out you can save up to a 1/3 on the current years model
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

That's a hardtail. I was suggesting for the price he might as well forget about suspension altogether. I was quoting a ball park figure in terms of usefulness and full suspension, not weight, if you want to play the weight game then you're into £3000 and up.

Comment

My point is spending that kind of money is like the novice golfer who spends a grand on his clubs. It won't make any difference to the way he plays.
              I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

for trailriding I spent 300 notes on a giant yukon. hardtail but front suspension and for a relative newcomer to offroad biking it does the business...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                  My point is spending that kind of money is like the novice golfer who spends a grand on his clubs. It won't make any difference to the way he plays.
                  Good similie, I was saying, why bother with a full bag when you can start with a driver, putter and a wedge.

Comment

A question for the mountain bike experts:

I used to make helicopters for a living and I know for a fact that aluminium 'age hardens', do mountain bike frames suffer to the same degree? Has anyone had one fail due to age?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X