• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sat Nav

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat Nav

I'm looking to buy a sat nav for my car, I guess a lot of you guys have already got similar toys.

Couple of questions ...

I've got a peugeot 307, I've been told "french" cars have a different type of windscreen that means sat nav doesn't work - truth or fiction ?

Also some I believe have got the RDS reciever built in to the unit - is this better than those with an extra aeriel [ aprt from the lack of wires ] are then any drawbacks with this type of unit ?

Finally TomTom or Garmin ?

Cheers
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

1. Some heat reflective windowscreens or ones that are heated can block GPS signals making reception bad.

2. RDS is the free TMSS broadcasts that tell you where hold ups are. They are not machine readable so the unit cannot navigate you round the bad bits but you need to manually alter your course on the unit.

3. TomTom imho. Being a trucker-style person its also a legitimate business expense for me.

Comment

TomTom PLUS traffic service and RDS-TMC Information will do alternate route calculations.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

SockPuppet has answered the first two questions.

For me, Garmin is the one to go for. I have the Nuvi 360 but thinking of upgrading to the new version which is slightly wider and therefore has a bigger screen. It also has the traffic receiver built in and can therefore automatically re-route you if it receives information on jams. The main reason for chosing the Nuvi was the slimness. My 360 easily fits into a shirt pocked when I need to take it out the car so I dont have to walk around with it in my hand.

HTH

Comment

I have a Garmin Nuvi 610T.

The TMC (traffic data) is machine readable and the data is displayed on the maps and the unit will automatically (touch one button) route round traffic delays.

It also has Bluetooth (unit acts as handsfree make and receive phone calls), speed camera warnings, plays MP3, reads ebooks, and points of interest.

A great wide and large touchscreen. Thin unit too.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I have a medion with TMS - It was one of the few in the store that could pick up GPS signals through the metal roof. The Tomtoms etc couldn't
            It just comes up with a message saying traffic disruption - some details, and do I want it to reroute. Tap screen once - it does it. Don't have any issue with that.

Comment

I stand corrected. I may have to look at the TMC addon for tomtom as the review I read said the data wasnt machine readable.

Comment

With TMC is it "in built" into the Garmin or the TomTom ?

do you need an additional aeriel to recieve it or has the unit got the reciever ?
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

The TMC on the Garmin 610T is a separate unit (GTM 21) that plugs in.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=398&xSec=23
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

The current range of tomtom devices cope fine with most heat reflective windscreens, due to the newer GPS receiver in the devices being more sensitive than its predecessors.

TomTom all the way, I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                    X