• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else uneasy with this...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else uneasy with this...?

Hi all,

I've had an email from my accountant with some links to their website with two online forms, one for the P11D and one for a personal tax return. I couldn't help noticing that this information is submitted in the clear over the Internet, i.e not encrypted via HTTPS. Just called them up and they assured me their systems are secure, well its not their systems I am concerned about its the damn internet between me and them!!

Wondered if anyone else felt uneasy about sending all this personal financial information over in the clear... i only mention this as my line of work involves taking advantage of such bad setups

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mrdavies; 12 April 2007, 13:02.
    mmmmm stella

Originally posted by mrdavies
    Hi all,

I've had an email from my accountant with some links to their website with two online forms, one for the P11D and one for a personal tax return. I couldn't help noticing that this information is submitted in the clear over the Internet, i.e not encrypted via HTTPS. Just called them up and they assured me their systems are secure, well its not their systems I am concerned about its the damn internet between me and them!!

Wondered if anyone else felt uneasy about sending all this personal financial information over in the clear... i only mention this as my line of work involves taking advantage of such bad setups

Thoughts?
    Accountants count beans. They know nothing about computers.

Comment

They should still be aware of security if doing any business activities online..
      mmmmm stella

Comment

This is SJD then I assume? You fill the boxes then get a confirmation email back with said details if I remember.

Do bear in mind that, even if the SJD system is not the most secure, the information ends up going into the HMRC system where it's probably open to all and sundry anyway...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

lol very true

Well i've asked if I can post the info.. prob say no, so i will have no choice in the matter more than likely.
          mmmmm stella

Comment

Working...
          X