• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D, once and for all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D, once and for all

I seems hardly a day has gone by this week without someone contracting a parallel thread about what goes on a P11D. For example:

Originally posted by basshead
    If you pay for something for your business from your personal account, your company can reimburse you via cheque or bank transfer without any personal tax implication (i.e. you don't need to put it on your P11D), just record it in your company accounts (spreadsheet/book/fag packet) and keep a receipt as proof.
    vs.
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    The problem with expenses being reimbursed from your personal a/c is you have to fill out a P11D and submit to HMRC with all of these on.
    Does anyone know definitively what goes on a P11D?

If you as an individual recieve any payments in the form of reimbursed expenses, then these have to accounted to HMRC via the P11D form - simple as that.http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/p11dguide.pdf
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
      If you as an individual recieve any payments in the form of reimbursed expenses, then these have to accounted to HMRC via the P11D form - simple as that.http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/p11dguide.pdf
      So, what basshead said was wrong, and absolutely anything I pay for from my personal account which the company reimburses me for - must be listed on a P11D and then be cross-referenced on my self assessment, and this includes all of the following:

Buying a fax machine
      Buying a ream of A4
      Hiring a projector
      Subscribing to MSDN
      Joining the PCG
      Hosting the company web site
      Paying a subcontractor
      Buying insurance
      Taking a train to a meeting
      Hiring an accountant

Comment

As I understand it, P11D is for those items that are potentially benefits in kind, travelling, subsistence etc. and things like hotel bills should be included even if paid from the business account.

Major company expenses like accountant or business insurance are best paid from the company account in any case to keep the accounts simple. If something like printer paper is used 100% for the business I don't think it is relevant that you paid for it out of the your own money and I would not include this on P11D. It is perfectly legitimate for a company to have a petty cash account for small things anyway.

It's all there in that link bluebird supplied.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 12 April 2007, 23:42.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

My accountant sorts my P11D out for me.

HTH
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            As I understand it, P11D is for those items that are potentially benefits in kind, travelling, subsistence etc. and things like hotel bills should be included even if paid from the business account.

Major company expenses like accountant or business insurance are best paid from the company account in any case to keep the accounts simple. If something like printer paper is used 100% for the business I don't think it is relevant that you paid for it out of the your own money and I would not include this on P11D. It is perfectly legitimate for a company to have a petty cash account for small things anyway.

It's all there in that link bluebird supplied.
            HMRC would argue that it's their decision whether there is any BIK not yours - in your example printer paper could be used for both business & personal use, therefore you have to declare that it's all business, you can't just say "I didn't include because it was 100%"

Comment

So where would printer paper be covered in that link you have provided bluebird?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

"By law, at the end of each tax year you must

give HMRC particulars of any expenses

payments, benefits and facilities provided to

• each employee or director earning at a rate

of £8,500 a year or more"
                AND

"Other expenses
                Enter details of expenses incurred in, or in

connection with, the provision for the

director/employee of any benefits or facilities

of whatever their nature not returned under any other heading"

Comment

Get a dispensation from HMRC and you don't have to report the reimbursements on the P11d, just the taxable benefits in kind. If you have no dispensation, then everything you pay privately and are reimbursed for by the company MUST be declared on the P11d and must be shown as both payments and expenses (to cancel eachother out) on your personal tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA
                    Get a dispensation from HMRC and you don't have to report the reimbursements on the P11d, just the taxable benefits in kind. If you have no dispensation, then everything you pay privately and are reimbursed for by the company MUST be declared on the P11d and must be shown as both payments and expenses (to cancel eachother out) on your personal tax return.
                    Thanks Phil - whats the likelyhood of a small company getting dispensation - I thought this sort of thing they only gave to the big companies [ brollies / accountants ] etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X