• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property prices!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property prices!

OK, so we all know they're insane...but this takes the buscuit!

My best mate bought her council flat 18 months ago.

Yes council flat!

Its in a nice enough block actually - not a big tower block or anything, 6 flats in it.

Anyway, she bought it 18 months ago for £40k, but as soon as she'd bought it, it was valued at £60k.
    Just got it valued this morning for £90k!!!!

A council flat, on a council estate, in one of the most run down areas of Newcastle.....£90k!!!!

The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    OK, so we all know they're insane...but this takes the buscuit!

My best mate bought her council flat 18 months ago.

Yes council flat!

Its in a nice enough block actually - not a big tower block or anything, 6 flats in it.

Anyway, she bought it 18 months ago for £40k, but as soon as she'd bought it, it was valued at £60k.
    Just got it valued this morning for £90k!!!!

A council flat, on a council estate, in one of the most run down areas of Newcastle.....£90k!!!!

Bulgaria is the way to go. I think you'll find more & more Engrish will emigrate or even commute to mainland Europe in the next decade or so.

Comment

Firstly she will have bought it subsidised by the tax payer, nice work if you can get it.

Secondly hold onto your hats
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
        Firstly she will have bought it subsidised by the tax payer, nice work if you can get it.

Surely you cant have a problem with people buying their council houses?
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

I do. Why should they get a 'leg up' on the ladder, because they are on a lower income? Are you a commy SA I think we should be told!

Comment

Yes I do, if you can afford to buy a house you shouldn't be subsidised. I firmly believe council houses should be for those who really need them.
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
              Yes I do, if you can afford to buy a house you shouldn't be subsidised. I firmly believe council houses should be for those who really need them.
              Well I'll never agree with you there I'm afraid.

My folks bought their council house in the 80's and it changed all of our lives.
              People should be given a leg up if they need it, and I'm really proud of this country for doing that for people.
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

If she bought it for 40k but it was immediately worth 60k, then those who paid for it to be built have just given her a present of 20k, and no longer have what they had paid for. I could see having a problem with that.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

People should be given a leg up if they need it, and I'm really proud of this country for doing that for people.
                  Need is not the same as want. The moment people realise that, the better off our society as a whole will be.

I spent 5 years working to finance my first house. There are council residents (and I'm not implying anything about your family in this) that sat on their lazy ars* claiming benefits for the same period, only to be given a "leg up" into a better financial situation than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    those who paid for it to be built have just given her a present of 20k

Well they wont have to put a new kitchen, bathroom and windows in it this year (as was scheduled) and they wont have to keep maintaining the boiler (which was breaking every couple of weeks), or paying civil servants to look after the paper work and collect the rent, or look after the grounds of the flats or the actual building itself anymore.

Plus they've helped someone else get on the property ladder and actually make something of their life, buy and sell, buy and sell, and eventually pay a whopping big stamp duty tax.

So I think they should all feel very happy with themselves.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X