• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paper cuts - tip for diy stitching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper cuts - tip for diy stitching

Forget stitching, get the superglue

Had a deepish cut for a couple of days, right on the fleshy part of my thumb, so everytime I extended my thumb it would re-open.

Remembering how superglue was supposedly used in Vietnam to stick together wounded GIs I thought I'd check on the old internet to see if it was an urban myth.

Seems that as long as you use glue which is cyanoacrylate it's ok to use to hold a minor wound together.

So I've dabbed some on top of the cut having made sure the wound is closed so minimal chance of it seeping inside, and it's holding ok so far. No sign of any problems.

And that's my top tip for today. My second tip would be to avoid other types of glue that may contain arsenic, for obvious reasons

I'll let you know if my thumb goes septic or falls off mid-wank over the weekend.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

I rememeber as a kid my Mum used to have something called New Skin, very similar to glue but formed a "skin" over the cut, burnt like hell at first but done the trick with closing cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Barriebazg
      I rememeber as a kid my Mum used to have something called New Skin, very similar to glue but formed a "skin" over the cut, burnt like hell at first but done the trick with closing cuts.
      I bet sockpuppet has plenty of skinsuits from all the murdered brasses he's done whilst trucking up and down this great land of ours.
      Call the cops

Comment

Because of the parrots I always keep some liquid band-aid on hand just in case one of the darlings decides someone needs an extra ear piercing...

But superglue / krazyglue is just as good, if you can get the top off quickly enough. (And glue the little buggers beak shut) <- joke
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Because of the parrots I always keep some liquid band-aid on hand just in case one of the darlings decides someone needs an extra ear piercing...

But superglue / krazyglue is just as good, if you can get the top off quickly enough. (And glue the little buggers beak shut) <- joke
          Aha, a parrot fancier. Threaded, maybe you can help (or anyone else who knows a bit about parrots). I was thinking of buying a couple of African greys, but someone told me that if you buy a pair then they form a bond with each other and disdain anyone else including their owners. Similarly, if you buy a single bird, they form an attachment with one human and treat everyone else like dirt. So in summary, they can "love" only one other person or fellow/bird. Is there any truth in that, or can their affections be more widely spread with suitable training or something?

edit: Regarding DIY suturing, the Romans used to use a breed of ant for that. They'd take soldier ants and get them to bite across the sides of a wound pinched shut. Then when the ant's jaws locked they'd twist the body off, and the result was a neatly closed wound held together with a row of ants' heads. Worked a treat apparently, and the formic acid was probably also antiseptic.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 13 April 2007, 14:51.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
            Aha, a parrot fancier. Threaded, maybe you can help (or anyone else who knows a bit about parrots). I was thinking of buying a couple of African greys, but someone told me that if you buy a pair then they form a bond with each other and disdain anyone else including their owners. Similarly, if you buy a single bird, they form an attachment with one human and treat everyone else like dirt. So in summary, they can "love" only one other person or fellow/bird. Is there any truth in that, or can their affections be more widely spread with suitable training or something?
            Absolutely true. They only bond one-on-one and get seriously annoyed if they think you've been playing away, and have a serious temper that can last for days ...
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Just your typical bird then. Now I know why birds are called birds.
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Working...
              X