• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why one should abstain from eating pork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why one should abstain from eating pork

Some world religions state that one should avoid pork. Maybe there are good reasons for this?

linq
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    Some world religions state that one should avoid pork. Maybe there are good reasons for this?

linq
    I bet many more people have choked on bones. Some duchess died the other year choking on a fish bone.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
      I bet many more people have choked on bones. Some duchess died the other year choking on a fish bone.
      The queen mother was always doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded

linq

Some people still haven't clicked onto why we Brits call them bangers!

Comment

Reason most religions say not to eat pork is because of the following:
          Abstention from eating pork is a measure to safeguard
          health.Of all the domestic animals, pig is the most
          avaricious, eating anything including human excreta. It is the
          cradle of harmful germs and parasites. Its meat is carrier of
          diseases to man, thus making it unfit for human consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by AZZIK
            Reason most religions say not to eat pork is because of the following:
            Abstention from eating pork is a measure to safeguard
            health.Of all the domestic animals, pig is the most
            avaricious, eating anything including human excreta. It is the
            cradle of harmful germs and parasites. Its meat is carrier of
            diseases to man, thus making it unfit for human consumption.

Yeah right. So how come we've not had a single reported case of Mad Pig Disease? How come beef is linked to CJD? How many people a year die globally from munching a bacon buttie, or a packet of pork scratchings?

Mmm. No, I don't know either

Comment

don't shoot the messenger
              someone asked why some religions don't allow pork and I found this and posted it. Jews, Christians and muslims religious books give the same reason of why you shouln't eat pork and as you know pigs do eat anything and everything and thats the truth. Whether they cause diseases or not I don't know I only posted what I found!

Comment

Do not confuse sensible measures to protect health with religious edict.

Even if every pig had extensive health checks to ensure it carried no diseases and was individually monitored by CCTV to ensure it never ate anything unpleasant, those same religions would still forbid eating of the pork.

That is not rationality, that is superstitious nonsense with a superficial resemblance to rationality.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth

Even if every pig had extensive health checks to ensure it carried no diseases and was individually monitored by CCTV to ensure it never ate anything unpleasant, those same religions would still forbid eating of the pork.

That is not rationality, that is superstitious nonsense with a superficial resemblance to rationality.
                  I'm with you on this one. To think that religion might deny me a fat man's breakfast with all that lovely bacon, sausages, black pudding, yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth

Very true. In 600 AD, when the Prophet Mahommed was cobbling together Islam out of bits of Christianity & Judaism, pork was a risky thing to eat. Not only does it carry the risk of various diseases & parasites, but it goes off very fast in the heat, like human flesh, which is why Islamic religious law says that a body should be buried by nightfall (reputedly we also taste like pork, as well - though I couldn't vouch for it myself, of course ). The real issue is that these concerns are irrelevant today with proper animal husbandry and refrigeration, but the religious zealots won't accept any change - they want us all to return to the dark ages, with them controlling our lives
                    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
                    X