• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brown lost £2 billion selling UK's gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown lost £2 billion selling UK's gold

Brown lost £2bn selling UK's gold
    GORDON BROWN is to face questions in parliament after revelations that he disregarded advice from the Bank of England before he sold off more than half the country’s gold reserves at the bottom of the market.

Insiders involved in the decision have broken ranks after an 18-month battle in which the Treasury has blocked attempts by The Sunday Times to make public the official advice received by Brown before he sold the gold.

They have revealed that Bank of England officials had serious misgivings over the chancellor’s determination to sell 400 tons of bullion in a series of auctions between 1999 and 2002, when the price was at a 20-year low. Since then the price has almost trebled, meaning the decision cost the taxpayer an estimated £2 billion.

This Tuesday the chancellor will face a Commons grilling over the affair as the Tories seek to undermine his reputation for economic competence.

The decision to sell 400 tons of gold is seen in City circles as a financial bungle on the scale of the Tories’ “Black Wednesday” that cost the taxpayer £3.3 billion, according to Treasury estimates.
    ...which cost the tories their reputation for economic competence! More chickens coming home to roost for our wonderful Chancellor!

Wait for the big one though...
    Last edited by wendigo100; 15 April 2007, 12:38.

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Wait for the big one though...
    We've already got several 100 Billion marked down to him. Just how big is 'the big one' ?
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

What a ******.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

UK Gold isn't worth much. All those Top Gear and Vicar of Dibley repeats around the clock. I say Gordon did right on that one.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Ten years ago Britain had by far the largest pension pot in Europe, and I remember there was some talk at the time about the EU wanting to "harmonise" pension funds, which would have amounted to redistributing our funds.

If that was so then GB could claim a patriotic motive for taxing pension funds, and eroding them by allowing pension holidays, namely to deprive the thieving gits by spending the money within the UK. Maybe be it's only Blair hanging on, and wanting to suck up to the EU, that is delaying this justification from seeing the light of day.

(With a bit of ingenuity, GB might even be able to blame the EU for the gold sell off as well.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I don't know what all the fuss is about.
            Gordon Brown is the best chancellor this country has ever had.
            It must be true, that nice Mr Blair said so.
            Boom boom boom boom
            A-haw haw haw haw
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

It's a wonder how the economy has managed to stay strong with all Brown's misadventures!!

We need to get rid of him before the next decline, to save Britain, Brown should go join the Scottish Nationalist Party. Instead of trying to ruin Britian from the inside!!
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
                It's a wonder how the economy has managed to stay strong with all Brown's misadventures!!

We need to get rid of him before the next decline, to save Britain, Brown should go join the Scottish Nationalist Party. Instead of trying to ruin Britian from the inside!!

pretty easy answer. For the first few years, the world economy was booming. Then latterly, he's been borrowing shedloads, thus deferring and increasing problems further down the road.

Comment

Why is this news now?

I have been ranting about it for ages yet the press wait until now to start pointing out the obvious.

The man's incompetent but I suspect a game afoot.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                    pretty easy answer. For the first few years, the world economy was booming. Then latterly, he's been borrowing shedloads, thus deferring and increasing problems further down the road.
                    Also, in the first few years he also inherited a strong economy, and stuck to the Tories' spending plans while building up a warchest (now long gone).

Latterly, not only has HMG been borrowing shedloads, but so has everyone else in the country, deferring and increasing personal financial problems further down the road.

It will probably go tits up one day - you can't have that much debt without a correction - and the longer we wait the worse it will be.

Of course, 80% of the population don't consider or even realise any of this. And if it happens a week after the Tories win an election, it will be seen as their fault!

Comment

Working...
                    X