• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not just an ordinary Nazi simpithiser...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not just an ordinary Nazi simpithiser...

But an M&S Nazi simpithiser...

gj - less of the libellous and abrasive posting please.
    Last edited by scotspine; 16 April 2007, 17:20.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Do you wish you could spell that proper like innit whatever?

What is wrong with admiring a party that transformed pre-war Germany from a bankrupt state to the equal of any nation in such a short time?

Do you believe this European cess pit is better now and was worth the sacrifice of so many 1940's youth?

Comment

Yeah, and that Uncle Joe Stalin turned Russia from a backward agricultural economy into being able to put a man on the moon!
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

You could argue that Stalin was the saviour of the USSR, without his rapid industrialisation plans would an agricultural based nation have been able to absorb, and ultimately repel the Germany of the 1940's?

Comment

As far as I interpreted Bryan Ferry's comments, he said that Nazi Architecture and Cultural Programming was amazing.

That's completely correct.

Never before, since the fall of Rome, had such great, iconic buildings been envisaged nor built on such a scale. Architecturally, it was amazing.

He said
          "My dear gentlemen, the Nazis knew how to put themselves in the limelight and present themselves.

"Leni Riefenstahl's movies and Albert Speer's buildings and the mass parades and the flags - just amazing. Really beautiful."
          Again, the Nazi's were revolutionary in their use of propaganda and spin. For the day and age, that was amazing too.

Nowhere does Bryan Ferry go on to say "and by the way, the mass genocide of several races / social pariahs and enemies of the state, plus the invasion and subjugation of several European Countries, was amazing as well."

No matter how many times you read it, he just doesn't say that.

So why is he being villified ? Sounds like he is being used as a convenient scapegoat for some politicised groups to gain some free publicity. Groups which, ironically, are using some of the propaganda tools of the man/party who once tried to destroy them.

Oh the irony.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
            Nowhere does Bryan Ferry go on to say "and by the way, the mass genocide of several races / social pariahs and enemies of the state, plus the invasion and subjugation of several European Countries, was amazing as well."

No matter how many times you read it, he just doesn't say that.

So why is he being villified ? Sounds like he is being used as a convenient scapegoat for some politicised groups to gain some free publicity. Groups which, ironically, are using some of the propaganda tools of the man/party who once tried to destroy them.

Oh the irony.
            He is guilty by extrapolation

Comment

I did have a look at some of Speer's building on the net. Horrible. One looks like the public toilet in Cheltenham.

All the same, it is absurd to make such a fuss just because of someone saying the Nazis knew how to put on a show. It is hardly praising the holocaust is it?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Would you care to elaborate ? Or shall we just condemn him based on not what he said, but what he didn't say ?

Can't say all of Speer's building's were "amazing" (but then again, appreciating art is an objective emotion), however Die Neue Reichskanzlei (The New Reich Chancellery) is an impressive and emotion-inspiring building.

I wish we built as impressively as we once used to, with grandeur, with form, with emotion.

Now it's a case of what's the cheapest material we can use and hope it still stands.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Benny

I understand the new labour terminonlogy is 'deemed guilty'.

Ferry was spot on - the Nazis were, for the time, on the cutting edge of propaganda. Im surprised he didn't also mention the autobahn, which to this day puts us to shame. I wonder if there would be such a furore if he had said the same about contempory Soviet works... ?

Once again, proof that these days a rational thought is something to be villified, not discussed.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Not to mention the VW. If you've ever owned a VW you have driven a car descended from Nazi R & D. Doesn't make you one though...
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X