• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phillip having a rant on the Telegraph site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillip having a rant on the Telegraph site

Own up - must be one of us
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ublview16.xml
    I left Britain for good in 2000 as a result of the introduction of IR35. IR35 totally changed, for the worse, the way one-man companies were taxed and the rules were so vague that even the Inland Revenue did not understand them, let alone ordinary people like me.

As my wife is Canadian, we decided to emigrate to Canada. I hated leaving Britain and I still miss it.

That said, I now have a much nicer life; everything is cheaper there, taxes are lower, we now have a conservative government, the quality of life is so much better it's not true.

I am sad to say that I am not sure that I could ever come back to Britain to live; as everything is so expensive in the UK and Labour have ruined everything they have put their grubby fingers on.

It now seems like the British are second-class citizens in their own country.

Finally, after 10 years of damage, Tony Blair has now paralysed the government of this country with his long-drawn out departure while he desperately seeks a "legacy" to his vanity.

We already know what his legacy is and we will paying for it for a long time to come.

I'm surprised nobody quoted King Charles I's angry reproach to Prince Rupert during the civil war, after Rupert had screwed up generally and lost the city of Oxford - "You promised mountains, and delivered mole hills!".

On second thoughts mole hills are still convex, which is too much to claim for Blair. I guess it should be "You promised mountains, and delivered pot holes!".
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      I think NL's continuation of Thatcher's hatchet job legacy and supreme efforts to promote greed and selfishness that lies at the heart of our problems today. When I see today's society I think of Wall Street with Michael Douglas - Greed is Good. Look at Blair and Cheri taking freebie holidays and handing out peerages like candy for cash.

It may appear, on the surface, to some of you that our problems are down to immigration and seeing a sea of black and headscarved faces everywhere - but I disagree. These people, i've found often have much higher social and ethical standards than many of their white counterparts. I used to have a f riend who was from Guyana and went to her house regularly - and kids were very well behaved and discipline stricter than I ever witnessed in a white household. The kids were welcoming, well mannered and usually Christian. Not the imaginery view of them as lazy, work shy crack dealers and troublemakers. We could do a lot from learning from them.

It's more to do with social breakdown resulting in part to society not having decent role models in our leaders anymore. Instead we see them demonstrate day after day that they are much keener to line their own pockets first and acting as public servants (masters) second. No one in government nowadays resigns anymore when they've been caught with their 'pants down' - they just look for scapegoats and excuses and phoney temporary resignations with the full intent of re-instatement once the story blows over. At one time 'scandal' was to be avoided at all costs and would lead to social annhilation. Now, the exposed just sell their story to willing publishers for a £1 squid. At the same time, these same leaders are handing out ASBOs like candy to kids. It's one rule for you, another for us. There is also a general decline in values we Brits used to uphold to the letter: bravery, honour, integrity, talent, entrepreneurialism with the view of doing good as well as making good money, generosity, sacrifice and public spiritedness. Now it's all about good looks and botox and size 0 figures, talentless fame on rubbish TV, crap MTV music based around huge record sales rather than talent, and binge drinking on Friday nights. Seemingly, these are the new goals in life.

At one time, being privileged with money came at a price - doing social good to help those less deserved. But Thatcher put a stop to that - she promoted the view that if you had money or good fortune either through inheritance or through through your own efforts, then you could keep it all, and to hell with those you would normally be expected to look after. The ideal of voluntary philanthropy and social responsibility was tossed into the dustbin because there was no such thing as society and those who hadn't made it were now moaning minnies and losers and deserved all they got. Now NL are acting like Lords of the Manor instead of wealth distributing public servants and distributing and stealing our wealth, whether we like it or not, whilst hiving off a big chunk for themselves as a misguided reward.
      I thought you had b***ered off. Or are you returning as you left - full of s**t?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        I thought you had b***ered off. Or are you returning as you left - full of s**t?
        DA - please... let's not lower the tone eh? What has Denny done to you?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Been less than reverential about Saint Margaret?
          Ah. Yes, that would make sense.

Comment

Welcome back, Denny.

Now, are you sure you don't want any marmalade?

Comment

Chunky.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Been less than reverential about Saint Margaret?
                Quite right, she knows which buttons to press. I will welcome her with open arms as I do not wish to be in trouble for cyber bullying.

I will make the point that thanks to our Maggie people like her have been allowed to prosper, rather than stagnate in a command economy and serve as a slave to the state. But she wants it both ways, how dare maggie release the council house dwellers into a society of home ownership and personal responsibility?? after all it is alright for clever professionals like her to prosper but not for the great unwashed who will simplyy exploit their opportuinties and become greedy.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It wasn't just maggie. But hey, we are all entitled to our opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    It wasn't just maggie. But hey, we are all entitled to our opinions!
                    You are quite right wendigo, only as long as they do not contradict my views

Comment

Working...
                    X