• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax amnesty on offshore accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax amnesty on offshore accounts

Not much sign of this piece of news after seeing it last night on ITV's news at 10.30.

Was I just dreaming it or are we being asked to voluntarilly give up 10% of what we have in offshore savings/investment accounts before a certain date? After which a much larger chunk will be taken, assuming the tax man knows where to look and collars you.

Sorry if it's old news and ITN were just a bit slow on reporting it.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Not a generous amnesty

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    Not much sign of this piece of news after seeing it last night on ITV's news at 10.30.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/f77d580e-ec5...b5df10621.html
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

time to declare my hidden millions in a swiss bank

Comment

Details of the original ruling can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4761851.stm

Out of interest, anyone affected by this?

Comment

Was I just dreaming it or are we being asked to voluntarilly give up 10% of what we have in offshore savings/investment accounts before a certain date? After which a much larger chunk will be taken, assuming the tax man knows where to look and collars you.

Anyone with offshore funds would be a fool to fall for that one. Once you've made a payment, what's to stop the taxman from demanding extra retrospectively? Tax collectors have a blackmailer's psychology - give them some money and they'll push you all the harder for more!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Anyone who thinks they are saving their pennies away from the taxmans eye in a EU country is seriously misguided. You need to be sheltering it in places like Dubai...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Extract from the FT report:

"It needs large numbers of people to come forward voluntarily to save its investigations teams from being overwhelmed by the large volume of data generated by the disclosure orders against the high street banks."

Sounds similar to IR35. Try to scare people into volunteering when there's a chance they won't have the resource or ability to find the culprits on their own. Those who come forward can expect full scrutiny whereas the rest will hope to be overlooked.

Thankfully I'm not affected. Wouldn't know whether to invite the taxman to dinner (hoping he won't leave with the house), or put my head in the sand.

Can they still get you if you've emigrated abroad to wherever your stash is (assuming investments in property abroad will also be taxable) by the time they put a pin in your tail?
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

I find it annoying that once again there is a suspension of the presumption of innocence. Once more the use of "tax cheats" being used to throw a wide net encompassing all.If you have a foreign account you must be doing something dodgy, even if it is by accident.

They can come and investigate me and my 6 offshore accounts. All declared on relevant tax returns. I was not UK tax resident when most of the money went in so that could add to the fun.

This smacks of Gordon lloking for someone elses pocket to raid in order to fill his ever expanding black hole.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

No, you're being asked to give up an extra 10% of the tax that you should have paid on offshore earnings, but didn't pay, in return for not being prosecuted.

If you don't owe any tax on your offshore earnings, then you can do nothing.

If you do owe tax, but think that you won't get caught, you can do nothing and risk the prosecution.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                    Anyone with offshore funds would be a fool to fall for that one. Once you've made a payment, what's to stop the taxman from demanding extra retrospectively? Tax collectors have a blackmailer's psychology - give them some money and they'll push you all the harder for more!
                    I think not. Tax amnesties have been honoured in the past, offering one and not honouring it would be foolish, IMHO

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X