• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmmmm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm

Managed to land a contract on my doorstep (for the first time), only short term, but hoping more work may come of it. The rate was low, but the idea of not having to travel far every day was too appealing (about 4 miles !). The contract came through tonight and the rate is more than I thought I agreed to ??

I initially spoke to the agent who advertised the role and she gave a rate to me. Since then I have dealt with the account manager and never discussed rates, but the rate is mentioned twice - on the covering letter (stating the amount 'we agreed to') and also in the contract.

so do I

Say nothing, sign and invoice
    Query the amount (Yes I know I would straight away if the rate was lower)

Being a honest chap I want to ring up, but being a cynical bar stewart I think the agency will just say, ah yes, an honest mistake and pocket the extra themselves.

This happened to me last year. Turns out the contract accidentally quoted the gross amount that the client was paying the agent. I didn't get away with it.

Comment

Don't "query" the rate - just ask them to confirm the rate at their £x.
      You think you agreed one thing, they think you agreed another. It's your word against theirs so it's only gallant you should give them the benefit of the doubt

Comment

thanks ThunderLizard - will try that

Yes Wendigo, happened to me before now !

Comment

Yeah, you go to your agent and say "You want to pay me all this? Really? Are you sure? Are you sure your sure?"
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

You've got the contract work. Sign it and return it say nothing. It's unlikly to be checked and billing department of the agent may not notice when you invoice.

If they bring it up, say that you were in a mad rush to return the contract and like a fool you never checked it.
            Drivel is my speciality

Comment

If it's in writing it's their mistake and you should proceed as they would if the table was turned, that is to say nothing and see what happens, if anything.

Seeing as it's short term they might not bother too much (will claw it back and more at the next renewal probably) if it is indeed a mistake on their part and they don't want to pay the difference. A contract is a contract after all. They should query it before or at the first invoice when someone in accounts sees it and does the maths.
              "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Whether the rate that the agency is paid by the client is more or less that what you are getting is of no concern to you.

Agents on here have said repeatedly that contractors should not concern themselves with the agency / client contract.

If they've made the mistake, then it's their fault and they'll have to bear the cost...
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Being honest is a curse. While doing my VAT returns yesterday I discovered the agency had paid me for a WHOLE HOUR extra. Total waste of time ringing up as it would cost them and me more than an hour's time to correct it but I still feel slightly guilty.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Was just about to call agency, when they phoned me - asked if I received the contract and was I pleased with the rate increase they have got me.

I love agencies

Oh well bit of good news for a change, been an awful start to the year moneywise !

Comment

Working...
                    X