• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank charges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank charges

My wife wrote to her bank ( a high stret bank from SE Asia) with one of the standard letters asking for details of all her bank charges over the past 6 years and enclosed her £10 cheque as per the Freedom of Information act.

The bank wrote back stating that they would provide this information by sending her the past 6 years worth of bank statements!! They duly said that this was not chargeable and returned her cheque.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I am debating what course of action to take next.

1) Do nothing and give up! (Not likely!!)

2) Open all the statements and dig out the information and the proceed 110% to push for the refund.

3) Take all the statement envelopes, go to her branch to see the Manager and put them on his desk and ask to stop taking the p1ss and send the info we requested.

4) Write to the branch and ask for the information again and enclose another cheque.

5) Just keep sending letters asking for the information until I get it and it's up to them if they keep sending things out.

At the moment I am tempted to do '3' but probably point '4' is likely.

Any comments from "The Panel"......?!

I wish I had your problems.

storm in a teacup.

Milan.

Comment

Just get the statements and go through them yourself and highlight the charges. Will take you about 30mins max!!!

Comment

The same thing happened to me (Barclays). I just gritted my teeth and went through the whole pile. Doesn't take as long as what you think (after you spot the code on the statement for a default charge- helpfully in capital letters on my statements).

From what I remember reading at the time, the bank isn't obliged to provide you with details of charges....statements are enough.

Do the counting, then demand your refund!

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          I wish I had your problems.

storm in a teacup.

Milan.
          I know what you mean Milan but its bad enough that the banks make these huge charges without them taking the p1ss in this way.

Comment

I know, only teasing, if you have time, do it and get the charges back

If I were the bank, and bearing in mind they must be getting millions of these requests, I'd respond in the same way wouldn't you ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              If I were the bank, and bearing in mind they must be getting millions of these requests, I'd respond in the same way wouldn't you ?

Milan.
              Well yes........but then that doesn't mean I should get away with it!!

Comment

in that case I'd do a cost benefit analysis

if your time spent getting the info costs less than the repayment of the bank charges then do it, if not don't or pay someone else to check it for you

ahhhh a plan b...

open a service auditing people's bank statements for re-claimable bank charges

Milan.

Comment

why do people wait till they rack up years of charges on there accounts. If you can't manage your own money, you deserve to be charged for being stupid.
                  I always know when I am approaching my overdraft limits and have them ammended as required. If the bank won't work with you find another bank.

Comment

Originally posted by mictech
                    why do people wait till they rack up years of charges on there accounts. If you can't manage your own money, you deserve to be charged for being stupid.
                    I always know when I am approaching my overdraft limits and have them ammended as required. If the bank won't work with you find another bank.
                    Plus the first time you get charged they always refund it. We are talking habitual ****wits here, best paid in beans.
                    I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Working...
                    X