• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Clash - 30 years on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Clash - 30 years on

I feel so old - went to see these at the manchester apollo - amazing
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

What was the line-up?
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Not sure what made you post this Gibbon but I was thinking something similar the other day listening to London Calling.

Without doubt my favourite band of all time and I was lucky enough to see them seven or eight times (depends if youcount the dodgy busking tour thing near the end!)

Glasgow Apollo Jan 1980, 16 Tons tour, both nights - honestly change my outlook on life and music.

Its not often I take any heed of morrisey but he said something recently, in relation to the new york dolls, about a band coming along at the time in your life that was perfectly suited to change you forever and how their music would always have a hold. For me that was The Clash when I was a kid through to old gitdom.

I feel a bit odd and old now....

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
        Not sure what made you post this Gibbon but I was thinking something similar the other day listening to London Calling.

Without doubt my favourite band of all time and I was lucky enough to see them seven or eight times (depends if youcount the dodgy busking tour thing near the end!)

Glasgow Apollo Jan 1980, 16 Tons tour, both nights - honestly change my outlook on life and music.

Its not often I take any heed of morrisey but he said something recently, in relation to the new york dolls, about a band coming along at the time in your life that was perfectly suited to change you forever and how their music would always have a hold. For me that was The Clash when I was a kid through to old gitdom.

I feel a bit odd and old now....
        It's 30 years since their first album. They didn't quite change my life, but even now when I need some movtiviation I will put one of their albums on.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Joe Strummer: Top bloke. Opened the bog windows from the inside at a gig so those without tickets could get in.

Been a Clash (punk in general) fan for years.
          It is 30 years since punk started in the UK so expect lots of re-releases and tours and stuff.

Was at an SLF gig last year when they announced their 30th anniversary tour. I didn't half feel old as I saw them on their first tour (inflammable material was their first wasn't it?).
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
            Joe Strummer: Top bloke. Opened the bog windows from the inside at a gig so those without tickets could get in.

Been a Clash (punk in general) fan for years.
            It is 30 years since punk started in the UK so expect lots of re-releases and tours and stuff.

Was at an SLF gig last year when they announced their 30th anniversary tour. I didn't half feel old as I saw them on their first tour (inflammable material was their first wasn't it?).
            Joe was always the business and I was utterly gutted when he checked out a few years ago. I saw him with the mescalaroes quite a few times and seeing him blast out White Man in Hammersmith Palais still below me away.

SLF - Inflammable Material was indeed their first album. Funny, they have outlasted the stuff they sang about - suspect device seems from another epoch now. They were always a good live band - Bruce Foxton has been playing bass for them in recent years?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor
              Joe was always the business and I was utterly gutted when he checked out a few years ago. I saw him with the mescalaroes quite a few times and seeing him blast out White Man in Hammersmith Palais still below me away.

SLF - Inflammable Material was indeed their first album. Funny, they have outlasted the stuff they sang about - suspect device seems from another epoch now. They were always a good live band - Bruce Foxton has been playing bass for them in recent years?
              Foxton has indeed been playing with SLF, but is touring as the Jam this year. 2 out of 3, but without Weller it seems pointless.
              Last year saw SLFs original base (whos name escapes me right now) come back. He was superb though he did drop a ballock or two first night.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Strangely since 1995 till his death he lived near Bridgewater Somerset which is a horrible little town down the road from me, they never used to get any bands down there but over the last few years some big name's have done benefit gigs in his honour, I've seen Badly Drawn Boy and The Super Furry Animals in really small venues.

I'm not sure what he did for the town but they hold him in high regard.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X