• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legitimate Expenses & PAYE question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legitimate Expenses & PAYE question

Just a couple of questions guys,

Question 1
    I just wanted to find out what is legitimate with regards to Expenses.

Well, I took 2 potential clients(..girls) out for a drinks in a bar/club. Bill came to about £180 (included my cab fare back home at 4am)

I was wondering if this is a legitimate business expense

Question2
    I pay myself about £1000 Net monthly and my Mortgage is about £750. there off course the other standard bills (electricity/gas/council....) to pay as well.
    I was wondering if Paying myself this amount is justified or too low

css_jay99

1. Is it fook. I am assuming that these were some tarts you wanted into bed and not "real" clients. The taxi certainly wouldn't count as "entertaining".

2. About right.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99

Question 1

Well, I took 2 potential clients(..girls) out for a drinks in a bar/club. Bill came to about £180 (included my cab fare back home at 4am)

Question2
      I pay myself about £1000 Net monthly and my Mortgage is about £750. there off course the other standard bills (electricity/gas/council....) to pay as well.

css_jay99
      1. Did you keep reciepts ? and can you back up the claim in front of HMRC that there was no BIK for you persoanlly ? Thought not. - There is however an allowance for a annual company bash £150 per head - your accountant may be able to pass this off for that.

2. Don't get this question you pay yourslef £1k and your o/hs are about the same ? so what ?
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Question 1

Question2

css_jay99
        Question 1: No. YourCo could pay your clients expenses but not your own.

Question 2: The level of salary is a matter for the directors of YourCo. It has no bearing on your status under Ir35, however a low salary, high dividend may highlight your company as one worth investigating.

Comment

sh*t I put about £200 in Entertainment in last year's accounts !.

Ahh sod it, dont want to get into trouble with hmrc, I might as well just absorb the cost.

Them both BI, so looking forward to a next encounter .

strange how drinks bring out the truth in women!

Originally posted by zathras
          Question 2: The level of salary is a matter for the directors of YourCo. It has no bearing on your status under Ir35, however a low salary, high dividend may highlight your company as one worth investigating.
          Its a case of Small salary (£12000 pa NET) and high dividend. I thought thats what most people here are doing ?. If so we are all at the same risk

css_jay99

Comment

If so we are all at the same risk
            css_jay99
            I would think that those who put their 50" Plasmas and drunken bisexual binges through their expenses can be confident that they are at 'slightly' higher risk.

Comment

Next time find some lady friends who have their own limited company and are VAT registered....I know of a few, well strictly speaking they are BTW registered so I guess it would be the EC 0% rate and thus little benefit if you were on the FRS....

Comment

AFAIK

1. Your company does not get tax relief on Business Entertaining so as long as it is properly recorded I can't see it being too much of a problem, provided you have receipts.

2. Does not make a difference. There are others that disagree on this. None of them are accountants.

Comment

Originally posted by dejongj
                  Next time find some lady friends who have their own limited company and are VAT registered....I know of a few, well strictly speaking they are BTW registered so I guess it would be the EC 0% rate and thus little benefit if you were on the FRS....

err, i am lost. pardon?

Originally posted by Gonzo
                  AFAIK
                  1. Your company does not get tax relief on Business Entertaining so as long as it is properly recorded I can't see it being too much of a problem, provided you have receipts.
                  So how come my Sage Accounts is showing Entertainment as a deductable amount b4 arriving at profits b4 Tax ?

Comment

Working...
                  X