• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency is cheating me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency is cheating me

I am still green in the contract arena, so please be gentle.

I started a contract 2 months ago, but told the agent that I want more money for the gig. he told me to that they'll(i.e. the client) see how i get on after one month and then up it to what i was asking. ( this part i thought was dodgy considering i was signing an initial 3 months contract). Ok, almost two months in, I called the agency to find out about what we talked about and was told that the guy i spoke to has since left and that "did i get this deal in writing !"

I now have a feeling that the client is paying them a lot more money hence they must be taking a huge cut even if they paid me what I was asking for.
    I think someone else might be in the same exact situation but dont want to shame the agency here yet.

I am tempted to ask the client how much they are paying the agency

I should now be netgotiating a renewal in next 2 weeks. I was wondering how to approach this situation. While this is a good people/investments/datawarehouse gig, i really HATE beign cheated and fill maybe i should start looking for something else. i dont see why i should do the donkey work while the agent makes the big bucks. I only agreed in the first place to the job cos it is in london (my last gig was 90miles away)

Are agents supposed to take a blanket % cut or is it just the case of the lowest they can get away with ?.

cheers

css_jay99

agents will take as much as they can, if you have a good relationship with the client ask what rate they are paying - be aware though that if you ask for an increase from the agent - they may well try and pass this onto the client making you look bad.

I'd find out the rate, then see if the client would be happy to accept you on a direct contract rather than through an agency - ie a win-win situation for you and client - check you contract though about clauses and whether you are opted in or out of the EB regulations.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

personally I would drop to the client what the agent is paying you and if the agency kb a rate increase to what your happy with - go direct
      Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
      I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

One word: Negotiate.

Go for a rate that you're happy with - it doesn't matter what the agent takes, as long as you're happy with it - if you don't get that then find a new contract. Simple.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

a hard lesson learnt, and the same mistake I made on my first contract. Never, ever trust an agent to honour any verbal agreement. Always get everything in writing.

Comment

If you can find out the rate that the client is paying, then do so. A friend of mine managed to "negotiate" an increase out of the agent's cut by asking for a rise, telling the customer that he was asking for a rise, but asking the customer not to pay the increase. Eventually, the agent cut their slice down to something more in line with industry norms, client paid no more, and he got his rise.

On my last contract, I did a similar thing - I knew the rate and budget that the client was paying, and we all moved a little bit to get the rate. Agent cut their margin, client paid a little more each day, I got an increase (but not quite as much as I would have liked in an ideal world). But I had a good relationship with the client and agent - I know that if I'd insisted on what I really wanted, I wouldn't have got the extension that I was after.

Faqqer
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks guys,

I am going to give the agent a call today and try and pin them down. I will call their bluff and telll them I will find out from the agent whats beign paid.

bloody SOB's

css_jay99

Comment

I has similar at Goldmine Sucks. Got an extra 10% - which was applied, backdated, to the other 40 contractors on site via this agency. And not 1 bought me a drink.

Comment

What the agency is paid through the client is non of your business...You've entered a contract that you were happy with....I would advice not to involve the client mid-contract....Hey if you think the job deserves someone to be paid more money, then by all means try and renegotiate at renewal time....But it is taking the wii to do that only 1-2 months after you have started, unless the job is nothing like the description....

Comment

Jay, mate , it's quite simple really. You've started on a 3 month contract, so finish it.. ur nearly done anyway.

Then bring up the renewal avec the client, and also with the agency. Be professional with the client and a little stronger with the agency. Tell them you were unhappy with the rate and now will only renew at the higher rate you want. After all, you've now got more relevant experience at the client too.

That would be the best time to tell the client what measly rate you're on. Maybe they'll be shocked to hear it, maybe they won't.

Comment

Working...
                    X