• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to UK - Umbrella vs Ltd Company, which is quicker?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to UK - Umbrella vs Ltd Company, which is quicker?

Hi,

I'm a New Zealander who's just landed a contract in the UK starting in just over a weeks time and running to at least the end of the year. I thought that was the hard part, but now comes all the accounting and legal stuff :-)

From what I've read, it seems clear that a limited company is the preferable long-term choice, but setting one up there's an awful lot of stuff to learn about and take care of in a very short time, especially given the delays people report in processing at the moment.

To keep life simple at the start I was thinking of going with an umbrella, then transferring after a couple of months, but there's a small catch-22 here. It looks like the Umbrellas want a personal bank account and NI number before they will sign me up, but I won't have either until after I arrive in the UK. The problem is the agency needs the Umbrella's details asap to draw up the contract, and I'll need the signed contract to help open my bank account, and it could take several days to find/convince a bank to take me as a client...

I could start with the limited company, but with no address to use or mates in the UK to play secretary, the accountants fees start going up :-)

Anyone with some words of advice on which they think will be quicker and easier for me to get set up? I'm not so much concerned about how soon I'll get paid, but I don't want to delay the signing of contracts and thus my start date.

Cheers!

John.

Go umbrella to get started. Switch to your own company once you know the rules and have a bit of time to think. If you're new to the UK scene (which is horrendously difficult at the moment thanks to HMG), take a good look at PCG's QU offering, which will package everything up nice and tidily and should get you round the bank and residency stuff...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...361&Itemid=483

Otherwise stick with the usual suspects, like Parasol - who are the guys who run QU for the PCG. Have fun...

Otherwise, if you really need a bank and company in a hurry talk to our favourite accountants who will be glad to help, but thanks to the new MSC rules there's a bit of a queue.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Mrs Gonzo is from NZ.

She went to Thomas Cook in Auckland before she came over and they arranged an HSBC account in the UK for her (personally, not a business account). I don't think it was instant though and some paperwork had to be sent back and forwards.

She tells me that any bank should be able to do this, she just didn't want to go through ANZ as she was working for them at the time.

Comment

Working...
      X